2010 Dodge Power Wagon appears

haven

Expedition Leader
Petersons has a 2010 Power Wagon in production trim for testing as part of its "Truck of the Year" competition. Standard Power Wagon equipment includes
Hemi V8 with 400 ft-lbs of torque
5 speed automatic transmission
4x4 with low range
4.56 rear axle
locking front and rear differentials
electric sway bar disconnect
12,000 lb winch
BF Goodrich All-Terrain 33-inch tires on 17-inch wheels

For 2010, the Power Wagon is available only with crew cab and 6.5 ft bed.

Unlike the Ford Raptor, which can carry only 800 lbs of cargo, the Power Wagon still can be used as a truck. The Power Wagon has a 2200 lb capacity.

[Edit: Edmunds Inside Line says the Raptor cargo capacity is 950 lbs.]

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/10/2010-dodge-ram-2500-power-wagon-breaks-cover.html

jcbrandon

Explorer
Interesting choice on the graphics. Personally, not my taste. I've always thought one of the reasons the modern Power Wagon didn't sell as well as expected was its stealth attitude. Parked outside the Home Depot, it doesn't draw a second glance. And unless you know what the package includes, you're not likely to think of it as an off roader.

I expect the new graphics will help sell a few more units. And very glad that the model wasn't discontinued as was rumored in 2008.

chasespeed

Explorer
if only they would put a Cummins in it....

OR, at least make the package itself(under another name?) available on the Cummins powered trucks... winch, disconnects, lockers, etc...

Chase

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
ya, don't care for the graphics, but they can be removed easily enough.

a diesel would be nice and asked for since the brought the PW back. unfortunately, i believe, they can't put a winch in there because of the inter-cooler for the diesel.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
WOW, I love the 2010 PW. Never saw those graphics before, but I like them. Reminds me of the 70's Adult Toys. I would like to see a standard cab long bed though. I doubt there will ever be a diesel PW due to the PW package weight and diesel engine weight would cut too far into the payload the and GCWR. Plus when adding the premium for the PW option added to the diesel engine premium the entire truck cost would be unreal.

These day's diesels are over rated anyway unless you are towing 80% of the time or run 80,000+ miles a year. I work in the truck manufacturing industry and one of my main package delivery customers (the guys in brown trucks) are buying gas powered vans 3 to 1 the past few years because diesels have gotten to the point they are not economical. With each federal diesel emission change the prices goes up and dependability and fuel economy go down. First 2007, now 2010…wait until 2016 and it will get even worse. For those of us that like having a diesel just for the sake of having a diesel, the only diesels worth having is a pre-2007 engine.

chasespeed

Explorer
For those of us that like having a diesel just for the sake of having a diesel, the only diesels worth having is a pre-2007 engine.

Yep, that's one of the reasons I have a P-pumped 12v in my 01 Ram......

But, the Cummins is still a great motor, though, an extremely expensive option......

I do tow, though, now that summer is over, not often. BUT, I spend a decent amount of time on the road to say the least....

I avg just under 20mpg.... my buddies unloaded gasser with the 6.0, gets 14-16.... and once he is towing his 5th wheel..... well....its brutal....

Plus, mines a helluva lot quicker...

Chase

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
In my mind there are two reasons the PW isn't offered with the CTD.

First and foremost the torque is too much for locked axles to handle.

Secondly, perhaps someone at Dodge realizes that the addition of the CTD to the price would make the PW almost unsellable. My PW listed at 47K - add another 6K to that for the CTD, and that's more money than most will spend. The new PW is already 4K higher in list price than the '09 too boot.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the new PW. Managing 140" of wheel base on the trail is doable with the realization that you're just not going to get it everywhere. The 2010 PW has a wheelbase of 149", and increased overhangs on both ends. It's still the most capable full sized truck on the market, and I'm glad to see it's still being produced, but it's not going to be as capable as the '05 - '09 are.

deadbeat son

Explorer
Reminds me of this one:

825.jpg

LAST440_maroon_79_rick_simon_mpw.jpg

jasonL_031

Adventurer
well i cant see me trading in my 07 power wagon for a new one lol.

when did they change the size of the tires last i heard they were going to be the same size as the rubicon lol. i still like my power wagon more lol :D

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
I really like the Power Wagons. My friend has one and follows me on stuff the truck shouldn't make it on, but does! Chiva Falls, Mammoth to Klondyke etc. (tucson az references)
I would get one and take most of the graphics off. Great trucks! Hard to keep the tires from breaking loose with that big motor. :sombrero:

jcbrandon

Explorer
...Great trucks! Hard to keep the tires from breaking loose with that big motor.

On the Power Wagon, low range is one of your best friends. In low range, the throttle response is mapped differently. It takes more pedal movement to get less throttle movement. This gives you a very fine degree of control. It is often worthwhile to shift into low range for this advantage, even when you don't need the lower gearing.

Your three other best friends are the front anti-sway bar disconnect and the front and rear locking diffs. Think of these as your four aces. Throw in the factory winch and you've been dealt a royal flush.

Can you tell I love my truck?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier