Best way to bring wiring through roof..

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I have 2 sets of Hellas on my rack and for right now (cause we were heading out) i ran the wires under some some gaffers tape on the A pillar on the outside. Well i have time this weekend to do it right.. so i was wondering what you guys would do?

here's a pic from the portal sticker thread of the rig... i have 4 power leads and 4 ground leads (with a junction block) going to the lights. The relays are under the hood (obviously).

11240609561ci2.jpg

PS. i dont mind drilling a hole in the roof as long as there is a clean way of sealing it up after.

any ideas?

ShearPin

Adventurer
Marine Pass Through

My brother and I have had good luck with marine hull pass through wire seals - any marine store should have them. They are available in a number of sizes and our experience has been they are leak free.

The links show first the roof of my brothers Hummer with the pass through for VHF & CB radio antenna wires + light wires. The second link shows the bottom of the Unimogs cab with the same.

http://www.4x4freedom.com/images/106-0675_IMG.JPG

http://www.4x4freedom.com/images/wirepassthrough.JPG

Henry
www.4x4freedom.com

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
That's one of the options i was looking at. How big the portion that he has in the hummer roof on the inside?

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
2nd with what Shearpin wrote. I am using that exact same connection on my boat for a through hull and has been trouble free for four years, and the boat has been docked in the ocean that whole time. I can't remember the brand but I bought it at West Marine. The nice thing is that it can fit as few or as many (to within reason)wires as you need. You actually cut the rubber plug to fit the wires. Good luck!

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
On my 4Runner, we ran the wires from my 6 Hellas behind the rubber door seal from driver side rear passenger door down into the engine compartment to the relays. I'd be interested too in seeing how folks bring their wires through the roof.
Wiring2.jpg

Wiring.jpg

Last edited:

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Nomad, that looks pretty clean.. however i don't have a door seal like that on my FJ80. Its in a little different location.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles