Tent Heater

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I've had a crazy idea for a tent heater setup. Get two air/water radiators, like an Aux heater for a truck or tractor, from the tractor store. Have one of them outside, sitting on top of a gas stove or the like. Plumb the second one inside the tent. Circulate engine coolant through the system. You'll transfer heat into the tent with no CO worries.

Thoughts?

gasman

Adventurer
looks they they are both the same.. wow ! i have never seen this one before.. it looks impressive ..but so do fake ********** but i learned along time ago never to recomend one product over another cuz when the cust says ''well the gasman siad it was ok '' you know what i mean ? judging by the manufactures other products it appears that they know what they are doing . the one thing that might be of concern to us overlander/camper type people is the operating range of this unit i believe it says from 35 to 105 degrees so if you aint camping in the freezing cold then this unit should do the trick i know that i have camped in tempratures well below zero many times so might not be the best unit for me.. then again hopefully it aint that cold in the tent.. i dont know if anyone makes one to work in those temperatures.. and then there is the part about having to recalibrate the unit yearly.. wich is a good thing .. my c.o detector for work is calibrated yearly by the manufacturer and i also have acsses to check it every couple of months
my unit is also worth 1200 bucks so it would not be practical for camping

gasman

Adventurer
I've had a crazy idea for a tent heater setup. Get two air/water radiators, like an Aux heater for a truck or tractor, from the tractor store. Have one of them outside, sitting on top of a gas stove or the like. Plumb the second one inside the tent. Circulate engine coolant through the system. You'll transfer heat into the tent with no CO worries.

Thoughts?

that just might might work..

i was thinkin bout a tankless hot water heater like the ecco temp type or somthin similar like the colman too... using the in floor heating idea maybe a 4x8 sheet of 2'' poly-styrene and some garden hose cut channels in the foam board for the hose, back and forth , run the loop back to the water htr . place the board under the matress in the tent BAM !! you got a warm matress the only thing is my matress is about 5 inches thick.. i suppose if you could ciculate the water around 140 degrees that matress would surely warm up..

long time ago i had some buddies who used some exhuast pipe ,car battery and a small fan.. one end of the exhaust pipe was in the fire and the other ensd ran into their 3 man dome tent.. it was close to 20 below outside , for the first hour the tent was about 80 degrees but .... the battery couldnt last in the cold i always heated rocks in the fire wrapped em in towel and threw em in my sleeping bag.. some times they would still be warm in the morning

gasman

Adventurer
I'd like to see a rugged CO detector. I don't know if those home ones can handle the rigors of being carried in a vehicle long term... the heat, constant movement, etc.

i will agree with you on that. i dont think any of the home ones would stand up..

first alert used to make a battery unit i havnt seen one in a while the system used this funky battery that was actually the sensor had some kind of bio-memedic thing in it .. they worked but the sensor was acumulative .. so basically it would sense some c.o but maybe not enough for the alarm to sound every time it sensed even minute amounts it would store it then 6months / a year later all of a sudden it hit the alarm level and would start screaming.. i show up to investigate ..and find absolutely nothin.. it was worse if the home owners were smokers or burned alot of candles

jeeppurz

Attachments

• forum1.JPG
    forum1.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 48

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz