We. Are. All. PIKERS....

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
compared to a man by the name of Louis Mattar.

I didn't know about him until yesterday, and he was a local, only a few miles away from me.

He took a 1947 Cadillac, and modified it for long distance non-stop road trips.

Yep, non-stop. Towed a 250 gallon fuel trailer, also used for spare oil, water, tools, tires, etc. Extendable running boards so you could climb around on the car while it was traveling on the road. A rack/maintenance stand so you could do a tire change while the car was moving (yep, he had rams with wheels so he could actually lift one corner up while moving). Hot water shower. Fridge. Ironing board. Wet bar. Sink. 50 Gallons of water. Tape recorder. Hookah. Water bubbler that popped up out of the passenger side tail light assembly, so the repair guys could get a drink while outside. Systems to allow him to do an oil change, radiator water change while the engine was running, car was moving - and to do it all from the drivers seat.

Mr. Mattar passed away, but his car and trailer are still in the San Diego Automotive Museum, and that's what sucked up a couple of hours yesterday once I spotted it. Luckily I have a very tolerant mate, because I was on my back looking under the car in the museum LOL.

Louis Mattar. :bowdown:

I am in awe.

Oh, did I mention he did rolling fuel refills using airport runways and fuel trucks? Non-stop really meant non-stop to Mattar.

Anyone in San Diego should make a plan to stop by the Auto Museum, $8 entry, but just for that one exhibit...worth it.

Yudda

Adventurer
i agree...that is incredible.

But how many people know what a Piker is ?

I worked as a broker for 12 years.... so i heard the term early in my old career. :)

anyway.......A piker is a person New to the game, Greenhorn, or a Newb / NOOB etc....

Thanks for the memories and the story.

rob

Last edited:

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
i agree...that is incredible.

Thanks for the memories and the story.

rob

My pleasure, and here's to keeping language remnants alive! :beer: :beer: :beer:

I should have taken some detailed photos, didn't know if photography is allowed, and I couldn't find a docent. Maybe next time, some of the details on that car and trailer are something else. Plus the trailer alone....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles