Repair advice? Blown head gasket on 4th Gen 4Runner?

cbradley

Adventurer
I am curious to see if anyone has any advice.

I have a 2004 4Runner with about 140k miles on it. The other day the check engine light came on. I pulled the code and it indicated a cylinder 6 misfire. I took it to my mechanic and he found the cylinder 6 spark plug looked like it had some junk on it. He replaced the spark plug and switched teh cylinder 4 and 6 coil packs. He also replaced the air filter because he said that it looked like it had gotten some water in it. Everything ran well for about 24 hours.

Yesterday morning I got into the car and it was idling rough and the engine light came back on. I shut it down and left it until today. I headed back to the mechanic and on the way there the thermostat pegged. After several attempts to keep the engine temp down, I gave up and had it towed to the shop. The engine code showed the same issue, misfire in cylinder 6. The shop said that there appears to be moisture in cylinder 6. The best guess at the shop is that the head gasket has a leak and will need to be replaced.

I have no idea how water could have gotten into the air filter. While I have done some water crossings on occassion, the water has never been higher than 2 or 3 inches above the door sill, which is well below the air intake. Unless a big puddle splashed just right or some freak event at the car wash occurred, I have no idea how this happened.

Has anyone else run into this problem before? Any advice? Does anyone think this could be anything other than a blown head gasket? I am shuddering at the thought of what this might cost to repair. Thanks for any advice you may have. This is the first problem I have had with the 4Runner, but it sure looks like a big one.

78Bronco

Explorer
Toyota's profits are up due to head gaskets being sold at an alarming rate!..I'm kidding. I think you have done well with your mileage and no problems. It's not uncommon for an engine with 140k miles on it to need a head gasket replaced.

It's unlikely that any large amount of water made it by the air filter to cause this failure.

First, I would get a quote to remedy the problem then also compare to replacing the engine completely with a used low mileage motor.

Get the heads planed flat and gasket replaced. They should also check the flatness of the deck on the block. I'm assuming a V6 so you might aswell do both sides now to avoid a repeat episode down the road. Also good time to look at the timing belt/chain and inspect the piston bores, etc.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
It's unlikely that any large amount of water made it by the air filter to cause this failure.

First, I would get a quote to remedy the problem then also compare to replacing the engine completely with a used low mileage motor.

Get the heads planed flat and gasket replaced. They should also check the flatness of the deck on the block. I'm assuming a V6 so you might aswell do both sides now to avoid a repeat episode down the road. Also good time to look at the timing belt/chain and inspect the piston bores, etc.

x2

Sorry to hear of this Chris, thats a real bummer. I'm expecting mine to last more than 140,000 but who knows now after hearing this.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I just did a search for engine rebuilders and found this.

If this shop is for real, this is what I would do. I'm not recommending this exact shop, I don't know them. It's just that the best deal you may find on a head gasket job might be $800 to $900. And then it's really still just guessing if that's really the problem. I've been through this. I was told it was the head gaskets. But it was actually a cracked block. And there was corrosion on both heads, which means they never should have put my old heads back on in the first place! My head gasket guys did not do the proper checks to find the problem correctly, they just guessed with my cash!

http://houseofengines.net/#

HOUSE OF ENGINE

TOYOTA 2.4/2.7/3.4 ENGINE
$1,395
Rebuild and installed with 3 years, 36,000 miles warranty, parts and labor.
Disclaimer:Free towing from selected areas.
Valid at:
575 S East End Ave, Pomona, CA 91766
Print Coupon

Last edited by a moderator:

cbradley

Adventurer
I just heard back from the mechanic. He put a scope down into the cylinder and pressurized the cooling system. He said he can see water coming in, which sounds like a cracked head. It sounds like my situation is an anomaly as the mechanic has been calling around and no one yet has come across a blown head gasket. I'll post more info when I talk to him again and get off of work. Sounds like a replacement engine may be the way to go.

XJxplorer

Adventurer
I just did a search for engine rebuilders and found this.

If this shop is for real, this is what I would do. I'm not recommending this exact shop, I don't know them. It's just that the best deal you may find on a head gasket job might be $800 to $900. And then it's really still just guessing if that's really the problem. I've been through this. I was told it was the head gaskets. But it was actually a cracked block. My head gasket guys did not do the proper checks to find the problem correctly, they just guessed with my cash!

http://houseofengines.net/#

HOUSE OF ENGINE

TOYOTA 2.4/2.7/3.4 ENGINE
$1,395
Rebuild and installed with 3 years, 36,000 miles warranty, parts and labor.
Disclaimer:Free towing from selected areas.
Valid at:
575 S East End Ave, Pomona, CA 91766
Print Coupon

He's got an 04.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
It sounds like my situation is an anomaly as the mechanic has been calling around and no one yet has come across a blown head gasket. I'll post more info when I talk to him again and get off of work. Sounds like a replacement engine may be the way to go.

This is the first one I've heard of, even on all the Toyota forums this is a first.

You have the 4.0 V6 1GR-FE correct?

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
That's what I thought.

Holler if you need a hand or a ride or anything Chris, my garage is yours if you decide to do an engine swap (that would be an epic project but fun) - I owe you man! :bigbossHL:

cbradley

Adventurer
That's what I thought.

Holler if you need a hand or a ride or anything Chris, my garage is yours if you decide to do an engine swap (that would be an epic project but fun) - I owe you man! :bigbossHL:

I appreciate the offer; I'm not sure I have the courage to try an engine swap.

java

Expedition Leader
i believe one person on 120 had a similar issue and ended up with a seized up engine that got swapped.

java

Expedition Leader
yep. guess it was a bit diff but it doesnt sound too far off to me.

if it makes you feel any better i blew a head gasket really bad this weekend too. guess it was a little too much boost....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles