Looking For A LHD Mog in Australia or Coming to Australia and would be for sale

Chrisw

Hi,

I'm new to the site, but what a fabulous place! heaps of great info.

I'm in the process of researching vehicles for a planned world trip commencing August (ish) next year.

A mog or Canter are high on the list. Body work is not an issue with some excellent companies (contacted) available in Australia to custom fit if I don't buy a complete unit.

But, LHD is the issue.

Does anyone have any ideas/comments or solution in this regard.

Thanks,

Chris

Toby2

Observer
Can I ask why it has to be left hand drive. I know there are a couple of countries that have restrictions, I think Vietnam is one but there aren't many of them.

Chrisw

Safety really..as the majority of countries we plan to visit will be RHD. That said there are a number of Southern African countries where it would be a disadvantage. Also India and parts of South East Asia. Thanks for the heads up I'll do more research on that..

Toby2

Observer
Well if its of any help, I have a right hand drive Landrover Defender which I originally bought when I lived in Sydney and I've driven round a reasonable amount of the world including large parts of Aus, trans Africa, Sahara, Europe and I have a LHD Unimog. Whilst there might be an ideal option depending on which countries you want to visit, I'd happily drive either configuration. Main thing is if you are driving the wrong combination - eg steering wheel on wrong side for particular country, simply having extra mirrors to help remove blind spots.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Chris,

A LHD mog here for sale would be a rare thing. Our defence forces use them as their main heavy transport and as a result there are a few of them now of the age to be sold off. Mercedes Ateco 4x4's are far more common but I can tell you that the best site for 2nd hand truck sales is www.truckhub.com.au and just type in "4x4" in the search fields. New mogs are normally way out of the ballpark with their pricing in OZ so there aren't many here other than the Army units. For a lot less you can buy a MAN but the main 4x4's in the 10ton and over bracket that are sold here would be Izusu FTS's and FSS's.

Good luck with it. Hey, if you find something online and it's located near me just let me know and I could possibly check it out for you.

Regards
John Marano

whatcharterboat

Hey, While I think of it. I saw this a few days ago on our way up to Double Island Point.A lot of people have been telling me about it over the last year or so but this was my first view. As you can see the hard side hinges up to reveal a fully screened dining room/galley and bunks. Perfect for the beach and aparantly that's where it spends most of it's time. Sorry about the quality of the pic. I'm sure they like their privacy and so I didn't go to close.

4004170749_6d25f8d630.jpg

4004184163_7cb228c990.jpg

dusseldorp

Unimog for sale

Hi,

I'm new to the site, but what a fabulous place! heaps of great info.

I'm in the process of researching vehicles for a planned world trip commencing August (ish) next year.

A mog or Canter are high on the list. Body work is not an issue with some excellent companies (contacted) available in Australia to custom fit if I don't buy a complete unit.

But, LHD is the issue.

Does anyone have any ideas/comments or solution in this regard.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris

just registered myself today on this list.
To introduce us, we are dealing with Unimog since over 20 years, mainly LHD and we are in close contact with our friend, Grant Andrews from Unimog Australia.
Maybe you can find a suitable Unimog on our site, www.merex.de
and we will try to help you
With best regards
MEREX Gaggenau Germany
René Dusseldorp

whatcharterboat

Sorry, Didn't realize that Nugget had already taken a pic of that mog on the beach when he was up there a couple of weeks back. Just saw it in the "Aussie unimog" thread.

John.

Chrisw

Thanks John. Food for thought.
Rene. I've had a few conversations with Grant. LHD is the main issue here. I'll definitely check out your site. Cheers

nugget

Observer
Sorry, Didn't realize that Nugget had already taken a pic of that mog on the beach when he was up there a couple of weeks back. Just saw it in the "Aussie unimog" thread.

John.

Hi John...we were not quite as privacy respecting as you were and went in for a close up..really nice couple who were really obliging in letting us have a look which we really appreciated. :sombrero:

whatcharterboat

Hi John...we were not quite as privacy respecting as you were and went in for a close up..really nice couple who were really obliging in letting us have a look which we really appreciated.

Haha. My guess is they just wanted to check out your Hummer at the same time.

Hey BTW, it doesn't look like they've moved an inch in all this time judging by the pics you took and mine last weekend. Lucky buggers.

nugget

Observer
hahahahha..that doesn't surprise me..they didn't strike me as the adventure trail blazers. I am pretty sure they live in/around Noosa and Double Island maybe a big trip! Not sure it will see too much red dust.

The Hummer is getting another workout this weekend...we are taking a 2,500km long weekend and heading down to Currawinya National Park sort of between Eulo and Hungerford.

With any luck I might thin out the Yellow belly population in the Paroo River...Wendy is packing food just in case!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste