Via by Starbucks?

78Bronco

Explorer
Pregrind beans? Game over. If I have to stoop to that level, I'd rather just go all in and drink the Via.

How do you deal with the grounds? Do you just dump them on the ground or do you pack them out? Either way isn't something that I want to do.

You can drink instant and I'll drink the pregrind 454HP from Kicking Horse Coffee.

I'd think that coffee is completely biodegradeable and doesn't contain anything harmful. Supposed to be good plant food. What do you think?:coffee:

mmccurdy

Adventurer
I tried this today, was skeptical but somewhat drawn in by Starbucks' in-store advertising claiming that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference from brewed coffee.

Well, it's quite good for instant coffee, definitely drinkable, but you can absolutely tell the difference.

I think for now I'll stick to brewed coffee on the trail, though recently I've started down the slippery slope to convenience and I've been pre-grinding my beans before heading out. Somehow I wasn't appreciating that caffeine-free 20 minutes, freezing my hands off, while I eked out enough for a cup from my hand grinder. Maybe this is the next logical step... :coffeedrink:

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I tried this today, was skeptical but somewhat drawn in by Starbucks' in-store advertising claiming that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference from brewed coffee.

Well, it's quite good for instant coffee, definitely drinkable, but you can absolutely tell the difference.

I think for now I'll stick to brewed coffee on the trail, though recently I've started down the slippery slope to convenience and I've been pre-grinding my beans before heading out. Somehow I wasn't appreciating that caffeine-free 20 minutes, freezing my hands off, while I eked out enough for a cup from my hand grinder. Maybe this is the next logical step... :coffeedrink:

I heard/read that too: Coffee drinkers (or whatever group they mentioned ;-) couldn't tell the difference. Admittedly I haven't tried it but I'd be hard pressed (pun intended :coffeedrink:) to imagine NOT being able to tell the difference between fresh ground/brewed and instant anything.

Not to say there isn't a market for decent instant coffee: I read the worldwide instant coffee, with most coming from Europe, is a $22B (yes with a "B") market: Not potential market but existing!

Good business sense once again from Starbucks!

mkitchen

Explorer
I was one

While in Portland, we stopped in a Starbucks and they asked if I would do a taste test. I got a small cup of fresh ground coffee and a cup of Via instant and I thought the instant was the fresh ground. I know that Starbucks over roasts their coffee and the instant had that taste so I chose it over the other.
I am impressed enough to carry it on a bicycle tour or a back country tour. Ilike a pot in the evening and I think that I would still grind and brew for that but in the AM's I think the Via would be nice and quick. The quicker I get my coffee, the earlier I can start my day.
Mikey:coffeedrink:

dallasrover

Adventurer
My wife and I use it. While it is not brewed, it is not terrible. We can stop on the side of the trail or a rest stop on the road, jet boil some water, and away we go.:coffeedrink:

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
Fresh roast? There is nothing in a Starbucks store that could be considered fresh roast. Who knows how long ago the beans at a Starbucks were roasted?

In comparing the Via to the freshly brewed, it is pretty darn close. Whatever method that Starbucks uses to make the instant coffee is a decent one. The only difference that I could tell is that the instant tastes a little thin.

Wasteful packaging? How, pray tell, could you individually package something in a way that is less wasteful?

There is definitely a place for the Via. In a situation like motorcycling or backpacking where space, weight and convenience are important, Via is a good option.

cactusjk

Explorer
If you use 8 ounces, especially with the bold, it is pretty close!

Fresh roast? There is nothing in a Starbucks store that could be considered fresh roast. Who knows how long ago the beans at a Starbucks were roasted?

In comparing the Via to the freshly brewed, it is pretty darn close. Whatever method that Starbucks uses to make the instant coffee is a decent one. The only difference that I could tell is that the instant tastes a little thin.

Wasteful packaging? How, pray tell, could you individually package something in a way that is less wasteful?

There is definitely a place for the Via. In a situation like motorcycling or backpacking where space, weight and convenience are important, Via is a good option.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Agreed. I'm a fan of hot tea and drink Trader Joe's English Breakfast Tea on a regular basis. :sombrero:

I’m happy to hear that Starbucks instant is ‘pretty good’, I will have to try some.

In situation requiring the benefits of instant coffee, I choose TEA :sombrero:

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
I'm sure the market research done by Starbucks concluded that the 8oz serving size is the ideal size for the marketplace. If the package size was for 24oz, it kind of defeats the concept altogether.

You must not have kids. Have you seen how much packaging is required for a tiny little toy?

ljb0904

My GF and I got some for our last overnighter - it was alright. I typically get moving pretty quick when I'm on the road, so the Via is nice for a quick cup of coffee. Tea is ok, but sometimes I just like coffee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94