Via by Starbucks?

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Starbucks has a new instant coffee called Via .... anybody else tried it yet?

I bought a sample pack and it is awfully good for instant, think it will be my new camp coffee for when I get back out into the woods or desert - meanwhile, I think I'll keep some of it around for work, study or when I feel lazy and don't want to make a whole pot.:coffeedrink:

Price isn't too bad, think it was $9.95 for a dozen packets.

In general, I'm not a huge fan of Starbucks (I drink my coffee black, so find their roast too charred), but I did think this was really good for a quick cuppa joe. And I did like it better than the concentrated liquid instant discussed here a while back (can't remember its name).

Blackeye

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0008
I am still a big fan of a well brewed cup (or two), but this stuff is pretty darn good. It dissolves well, even in cold water for the makings of an iced coffee. It seems to work best to add the ice after the solution dissolves. I'm up for trying it in soda water too. I've heard that it is tasty on ice cream, in cookies, etc.

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
I've heard about it and people say its good. Not a bad price. I'll have to try the ice coffee version though. I never drink hot coffee.

dustboy

Explorer
I'm intrigued, but they'll have a hard time talking me out of my french press and Peet's french roast. I could see it for backpacking, but the press takes relatively little space in the truck and I'd still have to boil the water.

78Bronco

Explorer
How hard is it to make real coffee when backpacking/camping? Instant coffee is like light beer...what's the point!:coffeedrink:

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
How hard is it to make real coffee when backpacking/camping? Instant coffee is like light beer...what's the point!:coffeedrink:

Camping is one thing, but for backpacking I want to keep everything as simple and lightweight as possible. In my truck I bring a manual grinder & stainless french press. IMHO, anything less than that is a compromise.

For backpacking, Via is a very good way to have coffee. It isn't going to knock your socks off, but when you are done, there is just a tiny little foil wrapper to pack out and it weighs next to nothing. It isn't a cup that you savor to the last drop; it's a quick & easy way to get a dose of caffeine.

78Bronco

Explorer
Camping is one thing, but for backpacking I want to keep everything as simple and lightweight as possible. In my truck I bring a manual grinder & stainless french press. IMHO, anything less than that is a compromise.

For backpacking, Via is a very good way to have coffee. It isn't going to knock your socks off, but when you are done, there is just a tiny little foil wrapper to pack out and it weighs next to nothing. It isn't a cup that you savor to the last drop; it's a quick & easy way to get a dose of caffeine.

You can pack a small re-usable filter and pregrind the beans for back packing. Instant real coffee!

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
Pregrind beans? Game over. If I have to stoop to that level, I'd rather just go all in and drink the Via.

How do you deal with the grounds? Do you just dump them on the ground or do you pack them out? Either way isn't something that I want to do.

luk4mud

Explorer
Don't like hot coffee but the idea of using it for iced coffee is appealing. How much water do you use? Will it dissolve or does it float on top like Sanka? Does the cream mix in or float too?

Radio

Observer
And you can buy the travel mug that fits several of the packets... so you never have to go far without!
Excellent idea, imho... that's a lesson in clever marketing; take an old idea and re-invent/improve on it. Whether you like it or not, you have got to give them credit on this one.
I will endevour to try some this weekend.
Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles