Bumper-mount air chuck

asteffes

Explorer
Where can I find a quality bumper-mounted air chuck fitting? I want one of those quick-release fittings mounted up front for quick connection of an air hose to an underhood compressor. Can I modify a standard QR fitting to do this? Also, is Amflo the best one to get?

Scott Brady

Founder
I used a standard fitting from Home Depot. They are threaded and with enough depth to allow mounting through the bumper.

Works great :)

bumper_air_chuck.JPG

expeditionswest said:
I used ...
is that one of the "stock" holes in the bumper? looks awful handy :D.

another thought...might interfere with the winch, tho...on my sahara bar, there's a slot or something above where the fairlead mounts. a chuck (with an easily removable cover) might fit handily in that slot somehow.

...dont the exposed chucks get covered in bug goo and other things?

-sean

Ric

Adventurer
great ideas, when (if ever) i get the Oasis compressor, i would love to do this hook up.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
devinsixtyseven said:
-sean
That would be the problem here. But I've seen dust caps for hydraulic quick connectors that would probably help.
5341kp6s.gif

Otherwise my thought was some sort of sleeve or something over it. The spot where Scott has his would leave it covered with mag-chloride, dirt and snow in no time here and that would probably ruin the fitting.

njtaco

Explorer
devinsixtyseven said:

-sean

Didn't someone post about a plastic, disposable cover used on scuba tanks that fit well? IIRC, they were cheap and available. Well, maybe less available in the desert:rolleyes:

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
njtaco said:
Didn't someone post about a plastic, disposable cover used on scuba tanks that fit well? IIRC, they were cheap and available. Well, maybe less available in the desert:rolleyes:
Rubber Foot off a crutch works quite well.

Robthebrit

Explorer
Why not just point it down and you'll have no problems, thats what I did and even though they are in the spray of the front wheelks they have never given any trouble.

Rob

so i looked a little closer at the sahara bar, there is indeed a slot in there that's about the size of an air line with a chuck attached. it's also outboard of the area that carries the winch, with plenty of room to breach the plate just inside the slot to run the air line. it does seem like a great idea, and more convenient than opening the hood.

(only a couple weeks more, and i'll have a compressor and a few other new toys so i can try this myself :jump: )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier