ZIL-131, from Russia with love

Capt Sport

Adventurer
I don't mean to be negative, but a 6 liter v8 gas in a truck that size? 1-2 mpg? I don't know anything about these but they seem to be on par with a 2 1/2 ton truck we used in WWII. Are that that old?

I don't mean to be negative, but a 6 liter v8 gas in a truck that size? 1-2 mpg? I don't know anything about these but they seem to be on par with a 2 1/2 ton truck we used in WWII. Are that that old?

My U500 gets 9mpg on highway, 5-6 offroad. 6X6 Mercedes/MAN diesels get 6 highway, 4 offroad. That's with motors with 45% thermodynamic efficiency. That ZIL is lucky to be half of 45%; so, 4.5 highway, 2 offroad.

Charlie

PS I'm hoping for another 0.5-1.0 mpg with my EGR system "modification", i.e. moving it from the engine to the garage.

off.track

Adventurer
2 liter vodka mix 2 liter kerosine good to go off road comrade
ain't that the truth.

but.. forget zil.. go big or go home:

TATRA 8x8
tatra.jpg

Still looks pretty quick. And the horrible mileage is because they are literately meant to drive on anything relatively flammable. Try running a modern efi on vodka:)
Im sure the m35a1 truck is not much more economical.

Since i grew up in russia, these truck bring a lot of nostalgia for me and I dream of importing one of the UAZ jeeps or vans but everything would have to be replaced to make it moderately reliable.

zaitcev

If you want a non-COE Russian 6x6 you want URAL-4320. It's powered by a V8 Diesel (YaMZ-238). For COE get a Kamaz.
I don't think they ever put YaMZ-238 into Ural. When diesel Ural first appeared, it already had the much better Kamaz diesel. The only road application for the 238 I know of was KrAZ. Its sister engine YaMZ-236 was used in MAZ.
-- Pete

KMM4x4

Observer
Good there was a car for the years. Nowadays on open spaces of Russia it often meets, but is already not so actual as earlier. Now the Urals-4320 and KamAZ-5350 the most running military trucks in Russia.

KMM4x4

Observer
I don't think they ever put YaMZ-238 into Ural. When diesel Ural first appeared, it already had the much better Kamaz diesel. The only road application for the 238 I know of was KrAZ. Its sister engine YaMZ-236 was used in MAZ.
-- Pete
Now to the Urals-4320 establish YaMZ-236 and YaMZ-238. The diesels KamAZ-740 on Urala established till 1993. Since 2003 on Urala the strengthened forward bridge is established, and average and back bridges have blocking of interwheel differentials.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Still looks pretty quick. And the horrible mileage is because they are literately meant to drive on anything relatively flammable. Try running a modern efi on vodka:)
Im sure the m35a1 truck is not much more economical.

Since i grew up in russia, these truck bring a lot of nostalgia for me and I dream of importing one of the UAZ jeeps or vans but everything would have to be replaced to make it moderately reliable.

Actually m35s avg around 10.

The following is a signature.
"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne