Simple Tacoma Rear Bumper

BLKNBLU

Explorer
Late to the game, I know, but the bumper in the first post looks very much like Sonoran Steel's for the mini
Mini_Bumper_002.jpg

He also has them for the Taco with side protection but I imagine he could leave the sides off if desired.
Winged_Tacoma_002.jpg

Winged_Tacoma_001.jpg

All the pics here - scroll down for Taco and Mini
http://www.sonoransteel.com/store_custom_bumpers.html

Remote

Observer
That looks just about right for me, and I don't even care to make an air tank out of it. Did you have it cut locally?

Home fab. Not sure what you mean by "have it cut". If you mean the compound miter cuts on the ends, they were cut with a woodworking compound miter saw with an abrasive blade. I would not recommend doing this on a regular basis. I spent about 1 hour making spark/grit shields to protect the saw. I also had to come up with sort of a blade guide to keep the blade from deflecting at the start of the cut. Once the cut was started good, it did not drift. Also, took my time as this type of saw is not made for the loading required with abrasive metal cutting. 24"x24"x2" triangles were cut out of the 6"x2"x.120" wall tube with a jig saw to achieve the taper, then welded and ground smooth. The jig saw was also used for the 1/4" plate without much protest. The 3"x3/4" and 2"x1/2" flat bar was cut with a sawzall and dressed/radiused with a belt sander.

And most important, define "local" and/or fill in your location.

Last edited:

alfio

Adventurer
Any suggestions on a simple OEM replacement bumper for the 1st gen Tacoma with a receiver and recovery points? No side panel protection.

Similar to this one:
final%202.JPG

i know, i know... thread revival but isn't that what they are for? :sombrero:

quick question on this, do you remember where the pic came from? is there a build thread on that bumper somewhere? thanks

irish_11

Explorer
I really like that CBI bumper (w/o) the side protection. Does anyone have a photo of one with a gas can mount?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne