Simple Tacoma Rear Bumper

Scott Brady

Founder
Any suggestions on a simple OEM replacement bumper for the 1st gen Tacoma with a receiver and recovery points? No side panel protection.

Similar to this one:
final%202.JPG

pray4surf

Explorer
AJ (Bent Up) still will produce bumpers like that one - Peter Parks could probably put you in touch with him

RusM

Adventurer
I find this rather odd, but in my area at any given time there are 3-7 ads on craigslist for small custom fab shops that do pretty good work at very reasonable rates. But when I look in other areas there isn't really anything that looks nearly as good. Must be all the boeing and aerospace machinist gigs.
I don't know how close to Phoenix you are but maybe you could have this guy email you some pics of work he has done.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
Steve Eagan at CBI can make one for you, lots of experience with Tacos as well. See link below.

amocaT

Adventurer
Cbi

I've been looking at this CBI:

DSCF3251.sized.jpg

The prices for this bumper are as follows:

bumper w/o rec. hitch or swing away, $350

bumper with rec. hitch and w/o swing away, $400

Basic swing away (as shown) add $300, this includes frame reinforcement plates.

from TTORA:http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129907

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Wheeling-Taco-032.jpg

I like that one. It just needs a receiver and two recovery points.

We were out this weekend for Overland Training, and found that Jeremy's Tacoma had no recovery points. We could just install a receiver, but his bumper could use a replacement as well ;)

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

pray4surf

Explorer
Wheeling-Taco-032.jpg

I like that one. It just needs a receiver and two recovery points.

We were out this weekend for Overland Training, and found that Jeremy's Tacoma had no recovery points. We could just install a receiver, but his bumper could use a replacement as well ;)

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

That is a nice looking bumper.

Depending on the type of wheeling Jeremy does, you may want to reconsider the 'sans' quarter panel protection. The only body damage I've suffered (I have a Bentup like you initially posted) has been to that lower corner (right before the end of the bumper).

My next bumper will be done by a local fabricator. I second going that route.

Just my unsolicited 2 cents. Good luck!

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I've been looking at this CBI:

The prices for this bumper are as follows:

bumper w/o rec. hitch or swing away, $350

bumper with rec. hitch and w/o swing away, $400

Basic swing away (as shown) add $300, this includes frame reinforcement plates.

from TTORA:http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129907

That is my truck....I like the bumper a lot. It looks sharp and works well. My only problem with it is that the swing out hinge is nearly siezed. It just has brass bushings so no way to lube it. Steve though is going to fix it for free. He says mine is the first one he has had a report of a problem with the hinge.

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
Overkill Off Road was a sponsor for the 2008 TTORA TakeOver, and they donated a couple of their Tacoma rear bumpers.

They were pretty simple, and pretty stout, and pretty inexpensive, I think.

If you google Overkill Off Road, it's the wrong one.

If anyone's interested you can email him for quote / pics:
overkill_eng@msn.com

**EDIT**
I found these pics on TTORA:

straight out of the box minus the included hardware!
P1011279.jpg

height comparision to stock bumper
P1011281.jpg

From the right side
P1011282.jpg

P1011289.jpg

From the left side
P1011286.jpg

From the center
P1011284.jpg

P1011283.jpg

I might add, Anthony has different brackets for trucks without body lifts as well as trucks WITH body lifts, make sure and specify your needs when ordering!

Last edited:

Remote

Observer
I just finished this one. Recovery points are straight thru, it has 1/2" plate under the license plate area to be drilled/tapped for one of those light duty receivers that bolts under a step bumper (should I ever want to tow something small). The end caps are 1/4" plate and angled to accept future side panel protection. It has a "vanity panel" for a finished look with a hole for the tire lift. Oh, and it is a 2.5gal air tank to boot.
Tested it last week in the Maze. We were having a minor marital dispute and I looked away from the trail for just a second. Just long enough to drop off a ledge onto the pass side end. No damage other than the semi gloss lacquer. That's with a full Expo load, 10 gals water, 8.5 extra gals gas, the camper shell and enough other junk to fill the entire bed.
As with most stuff I build, I developed a production process for future reproduction but have no intentions at this time. Feel free to use any features/ideas if you go the local fab route.

6"x2" rec tube tapered from 6" to 4" at the ends, license plate mount holes are sleeved and capped for the light wires and to keep the air in

BUMPER014.jpg

BUMPER007.jpg

BUMPER012.jpg

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Scott,

Just thinking - what happened to Asfir? There were a few at SEMA a few years ago, but then disappeared after that. That would be an ideal bumper and they made one for the 01-04 Tacoma.

Pete

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles