Simple Tacoma Rear Bumper

Youngunner

Adventurer
I'm looking for a nice and simple rear bumper too, maybe with a swing out fuel can mount. I didn't know bent up was still producing?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
From the right side
P1011282.jpg

I think that picture is the perfect illustration of why side protection should be considered, rashed up rear quarters :D

I had a bumper with nice side wraps on my first Tacoma, they got enough use that I decided I would do the exact same thing on my second Tacoma build. Well long story short the powder coater didn't get the new bumper coated before I was heading out on a big Swell trip... that got expensive. Bumper was fitted the next week.

Swell 059 (Medium).jpg

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
What about Armology?

Had a quick look but did not find any first gen Tacoma rear bumpers from Armology but I may have missed them. Does Armology make rear bars for that generation Tacoma?

tacollie

Glamper
Armorology has done bumpers for 1st gen Tacos but you have leave your truck with him because everything he does is one off.

Desert Taco

Observer
I've had pretty good luck with this model from Off Road Only (ORO):

LP-Harness.jpg

https://secure48.mysecureorder.net/offroadonly/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=224&osCsid=e5c289a81db2b96dcb355233e526111f

They also sell a similar one for about $10 less that can be hardwired.

That looks like it would last about 5 minutes out on the trail for me with how much it sticks out. I've had to beat the license plate back into shape multiple times now...

Summit Racing, they have (somewhere on the site) polished, satin, black and with/without matching lower bolts. The lower bolts are nothing more than 5/16" button head cap screws. They are not the brightest things, but I know lots of folks who use them without issue.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DEI-030301/

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

39ranger

another idea

This is another idea that I had. I needed to come up with a quick design and build, took less than a couple of days because I needed to tow a tent trailer and didn't have a hitch and if I put the ball on the original bumper my trailer would not have road level. It would not have been a good thing.
Also gave me much more rear clearance. Let me know what you think.
1996Tacobumper005.jpg

1996Tacobumper006-1.jpg

1996Tacobumper004.jpg

OldSven

Explorer
I'm all about side protection!!! But a good simple one if you can find it was the old Downey Offroad Tacoma bumper. Very simple, light weight design that has two tow points.

Badland Bumper:

DSC08592.jpg

Downey Offroad:

DSC00337-2.jpg

bobmuley

I just finished this one. Recovery points are straight thru, it has 1/2" plate under the license plate area to be drilled/tapped for one of those light duty receivers that bolts under a step bumper (should I ever want to tow something small). The end caps are 1/4" plate and angled to accept future side panel protection. It has a "vanity panel" for a finished look with a hole for the tire lift. Oh, and it is a 2.5gal air tank to boot.
Tested it last week in the Maze. We were having a minor marital dispute and I looked away from the trail for just a second. Just long enough to drop off a ledge onto the pass side end. No damage other than the semi gloss lacquer. That's with a full Expo load, 10 gals water, 8.5 extra gals gas, the camper shell and enough other junk to fill the entire bed.
As with most stuff I build, I developed a production process for future reproduction but have no intentions at this time. Feel free to use any features/ideas if you go the local fab route.

6"x2" rec tube tapered from 6" to 4" at the ends, license plate mount holes are sleeved and capped for the light wires and to keep the air in

BUMPER014.jpg

BUMPER007.jpg

BUMPER012.jpg
That looks just about right for me, and I don't even care to make an air tank out of it. Did you have it cut locally?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shevy5000