Axe and Shovel carrier

TEJASYOTA

Adventurer
I wanted a place to mount my axe and shovel, other than tossing it into the bed of my truck.
I then remembered seeing Expedition West's shovel and axe carrier.
Photo from Scott Brady's most excellent '04 Tacoma.
DSC02243.JPG

Instead of using a piece of wood and painting and then mounting it on the side of my truck.
- I opted for my spare piece of plastic board from an outside deck that we had built for my parent's home.
- The location of the tools will be placed on my Bed Bar, that was designed and built by JFAB of San Marcos, Tx, same guy that designed and built my Tool Box.

The Components:
- To hold the tools in place, not thought went into this, other than the size. An order for Quick Fists from Sierra Expeditions.com (thanks guys!)

- True Temper Axe (Model 1215400) from a True Value Hardware Store that was closing down.
The reason for this type of axe, was mainly for it's artificial handle, so if I hit the handle on a log, it would not splinter. I also like the little plastic cover for the blade.
Cost: $30

- Ridgid Shovel (Model 1390400) Digging Shovel from Home Depot.
I was originally trying to find a shovel with an artificial handle like my axe, but did not see on at either HD or Lowes, so I picked this, because of the D-Handle for grip, the spade tip design to dig into dirt, and the long tang to increase the strength of the overall handle from breakage.
Cost: $22

IMG_0042.jpg

The Installation:
First was to measure, cut, router the edges, drill holes for bolts and mount up my piece of plastic wood.
IMG_0045.jpg

I had some spare Grade 8 hardware laying around... heavy duty hardware for heavy duty tools! :)
IMG_0046.jpg

After fooling around with the layout for the axe and shovel, I drilled the holes for the Quick Fists and mounted them.
IMG_0041.jpg

Finally, the test fit of my new tool carrier.
IMG_0040-1.jpg

Overall I am very pleased with the outcome.

Willman

Very nice!

Just one note.....I would change the axe from pointing up to pointing down just-in-case you forgot to put the cover on and you slip on the thing...

;)

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Nice!

...I would change the axe from pointing up to pointing down just-in-case you forgot to put the cover on and you slip on the thing...

I would do the same. Not just in case I forgot, but because it would be all too easy to lose the cover while out in the field. Then at least the edge would be pointed down while uncovered on the return trip.

Last edited:

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Nice DIY. And , yes, I would take and reverse the axe head and have it behind the shovel blade for safety's sake.

TEJASYOTA

Adventurer
Thanks everyone....

Good thoughts on the axe's edge to point downward.

As for locking it up... I take everything off and store in my garage, when I am not wheeling.
But I could fabricate up something to lock it in place, already have a few ideas in my head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke