Heating RTT in winter?

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I leave the windows open...
It has an automatic shut off for high CO2 also.

Bill

I thought it had a low O2 sensor ??

Experiencing low levels of oxygen can be reminded by getting into fresh air to get the O2 back into the blood stream.

Experiencing cumulative low levels of CO is not quickly remedied as the CO binds with the hemoglobin in the blood and prevents it from picking up the oxygen molecules.

We do the same thing with ours, but I will have to say it is still a shock to get out of the sleeping bag and it is 30 degrees inside:Wow1:

I don't think some of you realize why I am asking about the heater units and not the electric blanket.... they type of winter camping I am talking about is when its 5 degrees out (-15 c).... and thats alright day up here in freezing Canada... I think a combo of the blanket, heater and thick sleeping bag is needed in my situation, my biggest worry is the batteries getting to cold, might have to look at what options are out there to keep them from getting too cold/freeze..

Thanks guys!!

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:victory: mrchips has got it

I have not had any problems with the cold in my Eezi-awn, just bring the down comforter from home, and an extra wool cover, and the wife and I sleep very warm, if it is ultra cold pull a beenie cap on my head and all is toasty. In the morning, pull your clothes in under the covers for a few minutes, warm them up, seems to work well for us both. Don't want to breath warm air in all night, fresh air is more refreshing.

A REAL down comforter (mines king size), a good woman/sleeping bag and you ain't gonna get cold-

Although you do need a wool cap, to limit the heat loss thru your head

:costumed-smiley-007:safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

mrlocksmith

Adventurer
Having anything but an electric blanket or forced air bothers me in a RTT. There is not enough room to keep things away from the heat source.

What bothers me the most is getting to bed warm and warming up my clothes when I get up when it is COLD. So I got a 12V heated pad and only turn it on to warm up my sleeping bag before I get in and then I take the pad out an pile my clothes on it for the next day and toss a sweater or coat over the top. I turn the pad on for 20 Min before I get up and presto, clothes are warm.

The most important and safe thing to do is invest in a GOOD Warm Sleeping bag. I have a Warmlite bag and It is the best. The coldest night for me in the bag was at +15F and I was still toasty. I am sure it will do well at +5F

http://www.warmlite.com/bags_In.htm

Caution: Their web site has a bit of nudity on it as they are Naturalists

HTH

Mark

Connie

Day walker, Overland Certified OC0013
Being a native Coloradan I know about cold and I have found that the best solution is; drive South. :sombrero:

Seriously though I use a hot water bottle with a double layer fleece cover that I made for it, people laugh until it's cold and then I hand it to them in the morning, it's still warm and they stop laughing. But my pink Winnie the Pooh cover assures that it will never "disappear" on me.;)

off.track

Adventurer
I don't think some of you realize why I am asking about the heater units and not the electric blanket.... they type of winter camping I am talking about is when its 5 degrees out (-15 c).... and thats alright day up here in freezing Canada... I think a combo of the blanket, heater and thick sleeping bag is needed in my situation, my biggest worry is the batteries getting to cold, might have to look at what options are out there to keep them from getting too cold/freeze..

Thanks guys!!

just one very good mummy bag will suffice. i've done -15F in an old army down bag. :)

Now that I have a RTT w/ annex I think I'll use a buddy heater, down on the bottom level on the ground, and just let the heat rise... no worries about knocking the heater over in the middle of the night, its easy to leave the bottom open at tad to let air flow, yet not create a draft in the sleep area.... I'll see how it goes and report back!

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Just remember that it will produce a lot of moisture. I used a small Coleman cat heater this last weekend just to not the cold down in my Flippac and had a bit of condensation forming. That was about 30 minutes of use.... I did the same thing, ran it in the bed while I set up and slept up top. My sleeping bags were more than warm enough once I was in them.... but it was only 30 degrees F

Now that I have a RTT w/ annex I think I'll use a buddy heater, down on the bottom level on the ground, and just let the heat rise... no worries about knocking the heater over in the middle of the night, its easy to leave the bottom open at tad to let air flow, yet not create a draft in the sleep area.... I'll see how it goes and report back!

ilguy

Observer
Just remember that it will produce a lot of moisture. I used a small Coleman cat heater this last weekend just to not the cold down in my Flippac and had a bit of condensation forming. That was about 30 minutes of use.... I did the same thing, ran it in the bed while I set up and slept up top. My sleeping bags were more than warm enough once I was in them.... but it was only 30 degrees F

I use a buddy heater in my JJ. Just to warm everything up before bed and then again in the morning. It does produce a lot of condensation. Even if it was safe to run all night long, I might need a swimsuit by morning.

Invest in a nice bag!

jCubed

Adventurer

I'm liking this idea. And since CO is heavier then air you'd have limited issue with that as well.

We use a Buddy Heater in our tent now and have no issues with it. It runs through a lot of propane if it was on solid all night though. Normally I'll turn it off and on through the night when my wife nudges me about being cold.

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Have used the same Buddy heater with blower in my RTT and annex. It warms everything up but does use a lot of fuel. It is a pain to get up in the night to turn it back on. I need a remote control for it!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz