Thought on Ozark Trail Hanging Tent

CantonXJ

Hello all! First post here but have been "browsing" for a year or so. I came across an interesting tent option that I may be interested in. It is the Ozark Trail hanging tent that fits to a First Up 10X10 Gazebo. I am a pretty avid camper and was looking at a roomy tent option for the wife and I. We already own a First Up gazebo that we typically set up over a picnic table when camping. My thoughts were to purchase this tent option but I was wondering what people's thoughts were on it.

0081865500312_500X500.jpg

Here is the full description: http://www.walmart.com/Ozark-Trail-Hanging-Tent-Gazebo/ip/10986131

I realize Ozark trail is a cheapo brand, but based on some of the reviews, it appears to be relatively wet weatherproof with the addition of some seam sealer and perhaps a couple coats of watersealer.

Do you all think it would be rather easy to maintain some comfortable temperatures in the tent using a Mr. Buddy heater despite it being so large? (This is my wife's biggest concern).

Any other thoughts are appreciated!

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
I saw that at Walmart and am planning to use it for camping next year.

I have an EZ-UP Awning and plan to use it with that. It looks as if it would work well even if I decide to use the EZ-UP's walls for even greater wx protection.

I would imagine that any tent heater would work pretty well. It doesn't seem to take much to get our EZ up warmed up with the existing walls.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
one of my friends prefers a wall tent to regular dome styles. he didnt want the weight of canvas so he bought a wall tent that is similar in material to the one you are looking at, like regular tent material. the only complaint he seemed to have was wind, and not much of it apparently, would blow and buffet the big straight walls. it bothered him enough that he bought a canvas wall tent and says its worth the weight and size to haul out.

take it for what it is though,,,, i never slept in it but i did sleep near it several times and it never bothered me.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Standing up to wind would be one of the biggest issues I see. Will the frame support the extra pressure of high winds on the side panels? If there are enough, strong attachment points for plenty of guy lines, I think this might still work. This assumes the fabric and its seams/ zippers/ etc. are up to the task.Also, the footprint is huge. Just consider that when deciding on where to camp.Finally, I've never been a big fan of using a heater (even though the catalytic style are safe from a CO perspective) inside a tent to keep it warm. There are other issues associated with having a portable heat source in a tent. Nothing beats having the proper clothing and sleeping bags/ pads to match the climate.

CantonXJ

Thanks for all of the insight.

With regard to wind, our camping is typically in the North Georgia mountains where there is a lot of trees that cut down on the amount of wind. Also, the walls do appear to have guy lines that may assist in adding some stability to the walls.

Footprint wise, that is something to think about. Although most of the locations we go to offer plenty of room for something this size.

Finally, I would only run the heater prior to hitting the sack to take some of the edge off the cold and in the morning as well.

Anyways, thanks again! I'm still going to have to mull this one over...

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I've been waiting for somebody to hang a tent from an EZup frame for a while now. I don't know if this one is high enough quality, but I think the concept is a good one. I have the First Up gazebo as well, and use it as a dining shelter. But I wouldn't rely on it to keep me dry.

I'd love to see something like this in a high quality fabric, like canvas.

CantonXJ

I've been waiting for somebody to hang a tent from an EZup frame for a while now. I don't know if this one is high enough quality, but I think the concept is a good one. I have the First Up gazebo as well, and use it as a dining shelter. But I wouldn't rely on it to keep me dry.

Yeah, I'm with you. If someone would design a quality "kit" that would replace the top as well and just utilize the frame as a starting point would be awesome. Hmmmm........

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I've looked at them, but they still just don't quite have the same interior dimensions of the EZup. It's perfectly square, with 4 vertical walls.

I actually bought a tent that was similar idea to this, it was 10x10 with vertical walls, but didn't use an EZup frame. It had 2 doors, and 8 windows, really nice cabin look to it, but the fabric was crap so I returned it.

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
Got my Ozark Tent for Christmas.

Haven't set it up yet, but will report back with my impressions.

:camping:

johnnett

ozark hanging gazebo tent

we own one of these and they are amazing. Better then any other tent. It holds up to winds rain and even snow. you stay warm and cool. I would like more but can't find them, Ozark really needs to keep making this, its easier to set up then a tent, and you have so much room (head room) Really need to know why they quick making them because I sure love mine and would like about 10 more.

johnnett

ozark hanging gazebo tent

if anyone has one and wants to get rid of it please let me know I will buy it.
I love it.

Trailfrog

Adventurer
I used an EZup over my trailer and RTT because the trailer doesn't have a top on it yet and I wanted to protect the contents in case it rained. We it did rain and I was suprised to find that the EZup was holding water! So much so by the time I realized it I was afraid it was going to bend the top structure of the EZup. Anyone else experience this?

dondonraiden

My wife and I were looking at new tents this summer as well. We decided to go with a stand up tent/square tent. After looking at everything walmart had to offer and then the sporting goods store, we decided to hop on Amazon and spend a little bit more money.

We went with the Eureka! Copper Canyon 10

It has plenty of room to stand straight up in, get our queen size air mattress, my dogs rather large crate, cooler, and our clothes. The first night we used it we had a hellacious storm roll in. The winds actually knocked down the awning on my parents 62 Yellowstone.

To our surprise the next morning we woke up dry :) So far we are really enjoying the tent. It was a little pricier than walmart offerings, but I think it was worth it.

photo (4).JPG

brianwj

Observer
I used an EZup over my trailer and RTT because the trailer doesn't have a top on it yet and I wanted to protect the contents in case it rained. We it did rain and I was suprised to find that the EZup was holding water! So much so by the time I realized it I was afraid it was going to bend the top structure of the EZup. Anyone else experience this?

My friend and I both had the problem with water pooling on our EZups. I think its from wind bending the frame in taking tension off the roof so rain pools. Now I take the time to secure the velcro to keep the top tight after I open it which has worked so far.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles