US Forest Service decides to close the Tellico trails

7wt

Expedition Leader
The irony is that OHV recreation is increasing and fishing is decreasing.

The irony for me is that TU fights for fishing access. I just can't seem to line that up in my head other than "we know better about what we are doing than you" BTW, public opinion had nothing to do with this.

4WD School

Adventurer
I agree.

To a large degree the trail closures at Tellico have restricted the fishing access too.

Public opinion is seldom considered in these matters, even though they are public lands.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
One thing that really bothers me is that usually the action taken is complete closure..
not just shutting down any trails that cross streams or just the areas that cause problems...but complete and total shutdown.
It seems the other side rarely wants to meet part way or try anything other than getting their way.

Maybe we would do well to learn from their success and start filing lawsuits to keep access open. Using whatever legal means we can based on whatever someone smarter than me can come up with.

But sadly enough I seriously doubt anything will come of this...no 4wd magazine will give it more than a small 1/4 pg at most, no manufacturer will use their legal team to act, at SEMA you might get a blip on the radar at most.

I wonder how far away the day is where we read Overland Journal to see places outside the USA where dirt roads & trails are still in use.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner

So what? Is that suppose to be evidence that OHV vehicles are the root cause? It obvious from that photo that it has been raining and the ground is soaked. The stream is riled up even before the stream crossing. A stream out here in the east that doesn't see one lick of stream crossings or has any trails by it will turn discolored and cloudy from even a moderate rain fall. This is from the natural erosion of stream banks, the stirring of settled sands and sediment from the creek bottom and the release of tannins from built up leaf litter on the forest floor. One heavy downpour will put more sediments into a stream in an hour than a whole herd of off-roaders in a month. Photos like this are only posted to elicit an emotional response.

paulj

Expedition Leader
NC FPG leaflet
http://www.dfr.state.nc.us/publications/Forestry%20Leaflets/WQ01.pdf
North Carolina Forest Practices Guidelines Related To Water Quality
15A NCAC 01I .0203 ACCESS ROAD AND SKID TRAIL STREAM CROSSINGS
Stream crossings shall be avoided when possible. Access roads and skid trails which must cross intermittent or perennial streams or perennial waterbodies shall be constructed so as to minimize the amount of sediment that enters the streams
because of the construction. These crossings shall be installed so that:
(1) stream flow will not be obstructed or impeded;
(2) no stream channel or perennial waterbody shall be used as an access road or skid trail;
(3) crossings are provided with effective structures or ground cover to protect the banks and channel from accelerated erosion;
(4) they shall have sufficient water control devices to collect and divert surface flow from the access road or skid trail into undisturbed areas or other control structures to restrain accelerated erosion and prevent visible sediment from entering intermittent and perennial streams;
(5) and ground cover, or other means, sufficient to prevent visible sediment from entering intermittent and perennial streams and perennial waterbodies shall be provided within ten working days of initial disturbance and will be maintained until the site is permanently stabilized.
Authority G.S. 113A-52.1; ******. January 1, 1990.
History Note:
http://www.dfr.state.nc.us/publications.htm

off.track

Adventurer
I can't remember where I saw it but I know the local Trout Unlimited group has been trying to get the trails about the water shed closed for many years. TU has a lot of sway when it comes to these things due to it's members. Most chapters have a fair amount of retired people that want to John Muir their whole world. They are a mobilized and motivated army ready for a cause. Combine that with a few attorneys and other busy body types and this is what you get. I have seen some pictures of the heavily depleted trout habitat and it is more than disheartening. Without crystal clear water, trout (brookies in particular) can't live and the bugs they eat need clear oxygenated water to hatch. Dirty water means dead trout, it's as simple as that.

I didn't spend a lot of time looking for it but this is the best I could come up with concerning TU and Tellico.

http://www.tu.org/press_releases/20...service-proposal-to-close-off-highway-vehicle

http://www.nctu.org/uppertellicosurvey.html

As a guy who loves to fish I am not sure what to think about this. I haven't been to Tellico so I can't comment but from the pictures I have seen in magazines and online it looks to be a place where a guy goes to test out his new 44" Swampers. Everyone here knows this does a lot of damage to the trails which does cause water run off problems. I used to think so screw it when it comes to stuff like this but since I moved to the East and started driving off road here, I can understand how fragile this type of environment is. The area's I go to will maintain a nice balance between recreational uses and environmental concerns as long as they remain little used. If they start to get the heavy use like Tellico had, I am sure some busy body lawyer will shut my stuff down too.

there are thousands of great trout streams within an hour's circle of Tellico.

off.track

Adventurer
NC FPG leaflet
http://www.dfr.state.nc.us/publications/Forestry%20Leaflets/WQ01.pdf
North Carolina Forest Practices Guidelines Related To Water Quality

http://www.dfr.state.nc.us/publications.htm

Cub_Run_1.jpg

off.track

Adventurer
pouring a slab like the one in the pic is way, way cheaper. but either way, there are plenty of solutions that don't involve locked gates.

4WD School

Adventurer
Why couldn't they just build some simple wooden bridges over the streams? Seems simple enough to me.

Originally, we did build wooden bridges.

On Trail #5, the Forest Service spent $220,000 building a massive bridge to accomodate future timber sales.

Pokey

Adventurer
-looking at the upside of things.........

most rigs will fetch enough $$$ to buy a lifetime supply of hiking shoes and hiking gear. There will be new markets developed for:

- ARB hiking fridges with solar power.
- Lithium powered Hiking winches-12 and 24v for extreme hiking.
- Old Man Emu hiking poles with heavy duty springs.

7wt

Expedition Leader
Another irony is our freedoms are being removed faster than an Gorilla picking fleas off it's partner and nobody says anything until a trail gets closed.

Bogo

Adventurer
So what? Is that suppose to be evidence that OHV vehicles are the root cause? It obvious from that photo that it has been raining and the ground is soaked. The stream is riled up even before the stream crossing. A stream out here in the east that doesn't see one lick of stream crossings or has any trails by it will turn discolored and cloudy from even a moderate rain fall. This is from the natural erosion of stream banks, the stirring of settled sands and sediment from the creek bottom and the release of tannins from built up leaf litter on the forest floor. One heavy downpour will put more sediments into a stream in an hour than a whole herd of off-roaders in a month. Photos like this are only posted to elicit an emotional response.
This needs to be turned into a sound legal argument.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne