Seat replacements, anyone go poly?

matt s

Explorer
Like these?

pro_stock.jpg
pro_stock2.jpg

I imagine the ride does not exactly get softer with one, and I doubt the vinyl cover does much. Still I kinda like the idea otherwise. My current seat provides no support for my back and is killing me. Time to start thinking about alternatives.

Wrecking yard may be a good place to start looking as well.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I wouldn't waste my money on those. At best they're good for a 1/4 mile at a time. Take a look through the import section of the junkyards. Specifically look for the "GT's", "Type R's" and similar.

With a larger budget have a look at the Recaro's, Sparco's and their equivalents.

Maddmatt

Explorer
I had some leather Volvo seats in my FJ40 from a junkyard. Easy to mount, easy to wire and really comfortable. Plus power and heated, was kind of nice and they had lumbar support. So I echo the comment to hit the import section of the junkyard.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I mod my factory seats for back support. I have used everything from wood, plastic, cardboard and bath towels to stuff between the springs and the foam. Just figure out how to get between the fabric and foam and wire the springs together, add, stuff, or whatever you have to to to build it up to fit your liking. I drove minivan company cars for years and those seats were made for 5'6" women. A bath towel wedged in the seat back was all it took to take that tight curve out of the seat and give it some firmness. Fold a towel under your back to get a feel for what works for you then add it under the foam. You can bolster the bottom the same way if you need to.
As far as that poly seat goes then don't do it. They are made to be used with a tight 4 or 5 point harness so you don't move. If you crash with a regular or loose belt then that seat will slam and break your body.

matt s

Explorer
Thanks everyone, I guess I should have found a better example. I had seen poly seats in defenders and jeeps before, I just could not find photos so I used these "racing" seats to illustrate.

Either way it sounds like it's not the way to go.

JUNK YARD here I come. I only wish we had U Pick type yards here. Sadly we do not.

Stumpalump, I have been playing with towels, small pillows, etc. for a couple of weeks. I can make it bearable but the seat really has seen it's days. Short of a full upholstery job, I don't see it coming back to life. Thanks for the tips, I may see what can be done with the springs.

java

Expedition Leader
im guessing your seesing supension seats, which look like those but are built completely different. thye are extremely nice but big $$ too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior