Trail Trailer build.. Butt end of an XJ

So last February I picked up the butt end of a 87 2door Jeep Cherokee from my friend Roger and decided it would make a good trail trailer and something different. Basically I wanted something that I could tow behind the jeep on long offroad trails to carry my camping equipment and extra fuel.. well in the end this will do it. It is running 33X10.5R15 tires (close enough to what is on the Jeep that I can use the Jeeps spare on there if I need to), has capacity for 20 gallons of fuel with its own fuel pump to facilitate transfer of fuel, it will have 20 gallons of onboard water storage and basically will make it so I can take the whole family on long offroad trips.. Here are the pics from day 1 to today.. This thing tows great you hardly notice it is there even flying down double track at 60MPH it doesn't cause a problem. I am into this about $120.00 so far

Chopitup007.jpg

Chopitup010.jpg

DSC_0991.jpg

DSC_1240.jpg

DSC_1241.jpg

DSC_2024.JPG

DSC_2025.JPG

DSC_2028.JPG

DSC_2033.JPG

DSC_2032.JPG

Interesting approach. Most people start with a MJ bed.

What did you do for a tail gate?

MJ bed would have been easier that is for sure.. but the rear half of the XJ was free 99..

the tail gate is the original gate.. no hinges.. being fiberglass I didn't think it would handle much weight if sat on etc so it just pulls off. there are hasps on both sides at the top that keep the top closed up and sealed.

tag187

Observer
Very cool! Oddly enough I just mentioned in my Willy's thread that I am planning on using the butt end of a Grand Wagoneer for the same thing (it is my donor vehicle for the Willy's).

zjrog

Observer
That WAS a lot of fun cutting that rusty XJ in half. Free XJ and parts for me, free back half for you! Turned out nice Scott, and it looks to tow very well (followed it down the highway and the trails...)...:wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier