Lug Nut Torque Indictors?

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
I was passing a commercial van conversion (being used as a fleet network installation truck) today, and noticed something I've never seen before. It had plastic arrow-looking spacer devices under the lug nuts, which I presume are put in place as the nuts are torqued down, with all the pointer ends lining up with the bolt pattern...so as to indicate a loose nut (the spacer will move)?

Unfortunately, I didn't have a camera with me, or I'd post a picture. Also there was nobody with the truck to ask.

I've heard of (and done) torque striping - painting a line on the stud, flat of the lugnut and wheel once the lugnut is tightened down. When I worked as an engineer in the Aerospace biz we even had special paint in tiny little containers for it (they had to be kept frozen in storage)...

These devices seem kind of handy: Especially for those of us running big wheels. Hopefully they come in colors other than the fluorescent lime that I saw today...

Anyone seen them? Know where I can get them?

thanks

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
You can, but have the same issue as regular paint - having to clean the old paint off when you break the torque on the lug, then reapply.

With these plastic dohickees, I guess you just put them in position and crank down on the lugnut, if it gets loose the flopping indicator will show.

JJackson

Explorer
How many people actually inspect the lug nuts of their vehicle even with the indicators (not including dot drivers)? Checking with a torque wrench monthly or whatever schedule you deem appropriate would only take no more than 5 minutes.

java

Expedition Leader
all the garbage trucks around my area have them, never looked close but do they go under the lug or do they clip onto it? seems if they were under it it wouldnt work well with cone or ball seat lugs. also i would think they would spin as you torqued them down.

they are kinda nifty and if nothing else look cool for the guy next to you :p

Silver dude

Xplorer
I work on a bus fleet. Every bus in our fleet now has the indicators as we've lost a few wheels over the past year. They do press on they are little time consuming to put on as the fit is tight especially the ones on our E-series vans. You point each arrow at the next stud that way if they flip up then you know the nut loosened. Guys around the shop really think the whole idea is bogus. But, they do work as long as they are installed correctly. On our city bus fleet occasionally they will melt off do to heat. But, city buses ride the brakes all day long. They do make some from thermoplastic but my company is cheap and the plain ones seem to hold up fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior