Easy-to-peel boiled eggs

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Here's what I've found:

1. (per internet) Put eggs in water, bring to a boil, remove from heat, cover, let sit for 25 min., put eggs in cold (ice) water to cool. Result: undercooked, hard-to-peel eggs. Tried again and let them sit in the hot water longer, and not only were they still hard to peel, I think the water cools down faster then what the eggs cook.

2. Put eggs in water, bring to a boil, boil for 25 min., put eggs in cold water to cool. Result: 50/50

3. Add salt to the water. My mother-in-law swears by this, but it doesn't seem to do anything for me.

4. Bring water to boil, carefully lower eggs into boiling water, boil for 25 min., put eggs in cold water to cool. Result: So far this has reliably produced easily-peelable eggs. I was worried that putting the eggs into boiling water would cause them to explode, but I've only had a couple break, about the same as other methods.

What's your secret?

Cabrito

I come in Peace
The key is lots of salt. Not just a little bit. Boil on a slow roll for 11 minutes. Replace hot water with cold. Works for me. always has.
Putting eggs into boiling water will make them explode or crack most of the time.

Desolation

Adventurer
Buy eggs.
Put in refrigerator.
Close door.
Come back in ~5 days.
Boil any way your choose, no salt necessary.
Cool any way you like.
I prefer to peel under running water.
Do not hard-boil fresh eggs.

off.track

Adventurer
water, eggs + salt
boil 5min
run cold water
roll the egg breaking up the shell. peals in one flip all at once. :)

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I do it almost like Jeff.

I normally make two hard boiled eggs at a time, for a quick snack, so I will go from there.

I turn the burner on high.

Fill the pot with water just over the top of the eggs.

Put the pot on the stove with lid on and hit my oven timer for 25 min.

I already know that the pot will begin to boil in about 12 min. so I know when to get off of ExPo and go check on them....:ylsmoke:

I let the eggs boil at full boil from 3 min. with the lid on.

Then I turn the burner off.

I let the pot sit on the cooling stove until the 25 min. are up.

Then I take the pot over to the sink and run cool water into the pot....tilting it so it will overflow and slowly take the hot water out with it.

I then let the eggs sit in the lukewarm water for just a few min. to let them cool some, so they are at the right temp. to eat right now!

When ready.....I multi crack them around the center on the sink, and run water over them as I peal the shell off. The shell just falls off.

Garlic/Pepper/Salt/with parsley works great!

I've lately been thinking these would be a good snack for the trail.

......Yum!...:chef:

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Buy eggs.
Put in refrigerator.
Close door.
Come back in ~5 days.
Boil any way your choose, no salt necessary.
Cool any way you like.
I prefer to peel under running water.
Do not hard-boil fresh eggs.

You hit it on the head. Do not boil fresh eggs if you want them to peel easy.

robertdarin

Adventurer
i think the hard to peel egg is usually due to long cook times, but what do i know? try shocking the eggs in an ice water bath rather than just cool water.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
When I was in culinary school in France (They love their eggs) I was told much of this had to due with the quality and freshness of the egg itself. It had something to do with the membrane between the egg and the shell. As an egg ages, that membrane gets more delicate and it is that membrane that helps seperate the egg from the shell. I was also told that poor quality eggs from mass production farms had a number of issues with the shell and the membrane. Something to due with feed, and development of the shell.

Keep in mind, this was all told to me in French. At the time my French sucked eggs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior