Overland Journal testing Sand Mats/Ladders

Scott Brady

Founder
I agree.

As with any tool, it is always a benefit if it can perform more than one function. Especially something as big and bulky and heavy as a sand ladder.

JamesDowning

Explorer
Man, I'm really excited for the next OJ... possibly more than normal!

Lets just hope my assumptions and observations weren't entirely off-base. :sombrero:

Looking forward to it Scott!

AndrewP

Explorer
Where on the Kokopelli is that? Having a hard time picturing that??

Not too far after you cross the Colorado River. You come to an intersection where there are some old signs directing you to the Kokopeli Trail. The GPS track we had actually turned left and we decided to follow the faded signs. The trail wound down into a steep canyon system and then up over a divide that included some very ledgy climbs. Once over the top, it entered this narrow shelf canyon that you see in the picture. It actually was mare dangerous than it looks from the camera perspective. After crossing that washout, it hooked back up with the GPS track in about 1/4 mile.

So we were off on an alternative. I would not care to go that way again, though it was interesting at the time.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Not too far after you cross the Colorado River. You come to an intersection where there are some old signs directing you to the Kokopeli Trail. The GPS track we had actually turned left and we decided to follow the faded signs. The trail wound down into a steep canyon system and then up over a divide that included some very ledgy climbs. Once over the top, it entered this narrow shelf canyon that you see in the picture. It actually was mare dangerous than it looks from the camera perspective. After crossing that washout, it hooked back up with the GPS track in about 1/4 mile.

So we were off on an alternative. I would not care to go that way again, though it was interesting at the time.

Gotcha, I know exactly where its at now... I think the recent BLM RMP closed that section to full width motorized travel because of the exact issue you ran into :D

Sirocco

Explorer
The majority of 4x4 owners here in the UK carry those GRP boards. We call them waffle boards because they resemble waffle/egg crates. Due to the amount of sticky mud that graces this fair isle, you would be foolish not to carry them in your recovery arsenal.

hoiked mine to Morocco and the Alps but were never needed :) due to versitility and use in mud, "waffle boards" all the way.

Scott - are the GRP boards you are testing from a known manufacturer or are they just generic? the stockists here in the UK make all sorts of claims, but they all seem "generic" being made and cut from the same materials/factories. Its a bit of a minefield to know what your getting. my thinking is GRP board is GRP board! wether you lay it as decking in an industrial environment or use it to bridge a gap, its pretty much the same thing.

G

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
This is a timely issue; I've been shopping for fair priced waffle boards recently and lost the link to ones I found...

winkosmosis

Explorer
There is something I don't get about the waffleboards... the holes. The surface area would be much greater if the top side were covered by a flat piece of material. The flat top could have textures or nubs for the tires to grip.

bluejeep

just a guy
Find a local 'fiberglass grating' seller, and check their discard or drop pile. I've found enuf to deck the trailer and have plenty left over to use offroad. Sometimes you might have to pay for the drops, I was lucky last time - the guy said if I hauled the 'junk' away before the trash service came I could have all for free :wings::wings:

another source for raw matl is www.mcmaster.com

Scott Brady

Founder
Testing is complete

We have just completed the testing, and have put the winter issue to the printer.

Here is a little video to add to the discussion. Does this change you mind at all?

HD Video (51mb)

leverett

Observer
There is something I don't get about the waffleboards... the holes. The surface area would be much greater if the top side were covered by a flat piece of material. The flat top could have textures or nubs for the tires to grip.

just lay fiberglass on one side your self they sell it at auto pats stores all you do is brush the resin on the fabric

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
We have just completed the testing, and have put the winter issue to the printer.

Here is a little video to add to the discussion. Does this change you mind at all?

HD Video (51mb)

Great work OJ team. Really looking forward to the results. I've already got my winning guesses picked out :D

Interested to hear more about using the deflated Pillowtracks as a traction device.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz