Leavened bread in the bush?

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
We make these- not bread but Arepas - corn flour

arepas1.jpg

Flour -water- a touch of salt, mix form into a shape then grill deep fry or boil

I like mine shallow fried with filled with chicken and avacodo....bacon and cheese, tuna tomato and chille or huevos rancheros

The flour to buy is Harina Pan found at local mexican supermarket

2_36019.jpg

1 bag would last us about a month........so highly space efficient.

Last edited:

Goana

I surely do, baked in the camp oven. Beauuuutiful!

Just your normal bread recipe. Obviously, raising time will depend on weather.

bread01 (600 x 450).jpg

bread02 (600 x 450).jpg

taugust

Adventurer
See my post at:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22444

I have been using the kitchen version for almost a year now, with great results. I have only done the charcoal method twice with mixed results. The attached photos were done in the driveway and worked well. I tried once in the desert, but I started the rise at home and drove for an hour. I think the vibration of the drive inhibited the rise, becuase the bread was kind of low. If you do this in the bush, I recommend staying in camp and not carrying your dough with you.:smiley_drive: The parchment liner is only used to allow lowering the dough into the pot gently. Some recipes I have seen say to drop the dough into the pot, but it seems to me that this would deflate the risen dough. YMMV. I mix the dough in the evening and start working it early afternoon the next day, so it's ready by dinner. There is a strong temptation to cut the bread soon out of the oven. It is warm and tastes/smells great. If you are going to finish the loaf in one meal, this would be OK. But I found that it dries out quickly if you don't eat it all, and the crust becomes hard. Let it cool completely (an hour or two) and it will stay soft and moist for several days in a plastic bag.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior