Alcohol stoves?

doubleb

Observer
I'm considering an alcohol stove for my camper so I don't have to deal with propane plumbing and dangers. I have been looking at the Origo stoves, does anybody have experience with these? How well do they cook, fuel economy, etc...
thanks

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
I've used pressurized alcohol stoves on boats.....

They smell bad, they produce little heat, and the alcohol is rather hard to find. Also, since the alcohol has fewer BTUs per volume you need to carry more alcohol than say, gas.

I know people who have used the non-pressurized alcohol 'cookers', and they're worse. It takes forever to heat water.

REI used to have some comparisons of various stoves and fuel but it doesn't seem to be on their website right now.

7wt

Expedition Leader
I don't have experience with full size alcohol stoves, but I have used backpacking versions. Generally, they burn cooler and consume more fuel to get the same results as propane or white gas. Pretty easy to simmer with and easy on your cookwear.

The advantages in backpacking sized alcohol stoves is that you can fuel them with Everclear 190:chef: This is a very safe, easy to carry, and non toxic (unless consumed in quantity) fuel choice.

Same here. I have one I keep with me all the time because I can carry around the fuel without worries. I can't with my white gas stove or butane models. I like the alcohol stove for it's quirks. It isn't as powerful as my other stoves but is dead quiet and odorless for the most part. I use it when I have to cook inside my cap. Bear in mind, cook equals boiling water. It's fun to use but when I can I grab the MSR Reactor or Simmerlite. Oh, the fuel economy is horrible but I don't care, I use HEAT fuel line antifreeze and I always have it handy anyway.

762X39

Explorer
I have a small portable alcohol stove and tested a couple of fuels with it. Turns out that methylhydrate (I think I spelled it right) burns cleaner than denatured alcohol so that is what I use.I love the simplicity of that stove (a Trangia from the 50's and the new ones don't look any different). It may not be the most efficient but it adheres to the KISS rule so I keep using it.As far as efficiency, I don't know but at least it works no matter what!
I would certainly consider a larger alcohol stove because of my experience.:coffee:

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
methyl hydrate = methanol

The alcohol stoves I used on boats burned methanol, which smelled rather bad. It was odorized for safety (much like natural gas).

Pure methanol is both more expensive and odorless when burned. A lot fewer BTU's (like 60% or so) than other fuels.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I'm considering an alcohol stove for my camper so I don't have to deal with propane plumbing and dangers. I have been looking at the Origo stoves, does anybody have experience with these? How well do they cook, fuel economy, etc...

Origo>>>while I wouldn't say they are widely accepted here in Oz, we reckon they're great. It's our first choice in our campers followed by the Webasto diesel stoves. Have experience with 3 different models. One drops into the bench top like a sink. Another is a 2 burner much the same as the first with its own recess and the last is similar with the recess but has an oven under. Very safe too. The Origo's use a type of fuel canister that's a bit like a racecar fuel cell. It has a big fill opening (about 3" ) and is full of foam so you can even tip it upside down and the fuel is retained with out spilling. Really safe. I've seen what was left of a yacht after a alcohol fuel filling accident. Took 3 fire extinguishers to put it out. Imagine if they only had 2.

Haven't installed a gas stove since '03 or '04. We're also playing around with Induction stoves now. I think that will be the future for us especially on the bigger trucks which have a little more electrical power on tap. Not that they need that much but there are other benefits that make them so good. Easier to keep clean by putting a paper towel over them before you cook and no radiant heat from the cooking surface. Only the pot heats up which is a plus in a confined galley on a hot day.

Regards John. Sing out if you want any pics of installs. Have a couple at work at the moment. They say they aren't brilliant at altitude but Oz is a pretty low place so it would never bother us here. Might be a consideration for you though.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Might be worth posting to reinforce what John just said about both the Origo alcohol stove and the induction cooktop.

I had an Origo in the fiberglass shell. Slow, but if you object to propane--which I don't, especially if you're in the US--it's a good alternative to the more complicated, and way more expensive, diesel cooktops, which also heat slower than gas and sometimes smell. No plumbing, no pumps, etc.

Induction cooktops are super; I do most of our home cooking on an 120V/1800 watt unit. Just remember that you have to use ferrous cookware, which rules out the aluminum pans most commonly found in camping level cookware. And, just like a microwave, the depletion RATE on your batteries is pretty great even if the overall amp-hours taken out aren't that high. In theory, this will shorten battery life, but some (including me) figure it's a reasonable tradeoff.

Wareagle

Observer
I keep a home made alcohol stove in my truck. I burn HEET in it. It heats quickly and burns clean. It' not as hot as my MSR white gas unit, but it is uch cleaner.

FreeManDan

Adventurer
I spent 8 dollars on a non-pressurized alcohol stove, but thems 1997 dollars! I used it at altitudes less then 1000 feet for a week and it was only slightly slower then an ultra light white gas stove. Fuel could be found at any walmart or hardware store and i don't recall it smelling bad. It was hard to light, and half the time the reservoir would catch fire, so I would just light the reservoir! It didn't do so well in the wind, but with the reservoir burning it would be less likely to blow out. If you set up camp in the dirt its not tooo dangerous, if you tip it over just stomp or through a little dirt. But cooking on a tailgate might advise a fire extinguisher or jug of water. You absolutely couldn't cook indoors with it, that's my experience....probably not what you were talking about...

off.track

Adventurer
zi60200.jpg

DueNrth

I have a Trangia lightweight cooking kit, and an Origo 1500. I've cooked a lot of small meals on the Trangia, and the Origo was a staple on my boat for years. The best thing about the Alcohol stoves is the fuel, clean burning, and a fire/spill can be put out with water. Whenever I have to cook indoors, I'd prefer the Alcohol stoves, but only then. The are simple, and cook well under the right conditions. Saying that, in my experience in high alt/cold/wet/windy conditions they just can't cut it. I'll stick with white gas if I'm cooking outside or extreme alt/cold. imho...

:elkgrin:

Wareagle

Observer
I have a Trangia lightweight cooking kit, and an Origo 1500. I've cooked a lot of small meals on the Trangia, and the Origo was a staple on my boat for years. The best thing about the Alcohol stoves is the fuel, clean burning, and a fire/spill can be put out with water. Whenever I have to cook indoors, I'd prefer the Alcohol stoves, but only then. The are simple, and cook well under the right conditions. Saying that, in my experience in high alt/cold/wet/windy conditions they just can't cut it. I'll stick with white gas if I'm cooking outside or extreme alt/cold. imho...

:elkgrin:

Great advice. I have the same experience with mine. ZThe key is using the right fuel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne