A little help regarding a child, and Veteran Homework

chasespeed

Explorer
Okay, now that I have your attention... I need a little outside help...

My 6 y/o daughter came home from school today with this homework assignment.

For the Parents, to talk with their child, about what a Veteran is, and what he/she has done for our country.

They also want the names of 3 family members, and the wars, etc

That part will be easy, Starting with me, and can go back past WWI. But, for this, only need to go back to WWII.

NOW, I am having difficulty talking to her about it, as I personally think its more than a 6 y/o should have to comprehend about the world.

Now, I also know that are a lot of other Vets here as well, and some Active Duty members...Hell, I havent even been out a year yet...

ANYWAY, what I am looking for, is, maybe an OUTSIDE idea what people think of when they hear the word Veteran. What comes to mind, how do you define the word?

I just dont know how to talk to her about this.

I have a lot of Pride regarding my service... that isnt an issue.

SHE'S 6!!!!!! Maybe to a 10 or 12 year old, I could talk about it.....

I know this seems, a strange thing to ask... I would never tell another parent how to rear their child, but.... I am at a loss....for whatever reason..

Thanks for any and all input on this,
V/R
Chase

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Does seem like an odd assignment for a 6 y.o. 1st grade I presume?

We have a 7 year old grandson, I don't think he even understands the concept of the military or what they do (at least outside of movies or video games.)

From my own experience, I remember when my dad went to Vietnam when I was 4. I had no idea where he was going or why. In fact, even though he was in the Army until I was 5 (1967) and we lived on an army post in 1966, I have no conscious memory of my dad wearing a uniform, probably because at that age I didn't even know what a "uniform" was or what it meant.

bugnout

Adventurer
There are many forms of public service; policeman, teacher, firefighter, politician, bureaucrat, mail carrier, tax collector, census taker, peace corp, ameri-corp and others. Many of these public offices are strenuous, dangerous and demanding duty.

Members of the military are public servants as well, but with a significant difference. They don't have much say in where they serve, when they serve or whom they serve with. They volunteer, often with a better than average chance that they will be carrying a rifle on the front lines, driving a supply truck on a dangerous route in a war zone, conducting air operations on a rolling carrier deck or providing battlefield first aid to injured soldier, sailors, airmen and marines.

Those that have served in the military are known as veterans. Each of them share the distinction that at least once in their life they wrote a blank check payable to “The Citizens of the United States of America” for an amount “up to and including their life.”

Most checks were never cashed, but for those that were, a solemn debt is owed by the citizens of the United States.

Last edited:

Desolation

Adventurer
Open the conversation.
KISS which in this case is Keep It Sincerely Simple.
Lay out enough of a basic frame work to allow your daughter to ask questions and answer those simple questions with simple answers and the assignment is done. Morals, ethics, right and wrong... perhaps years from now.

Just my aughttwo.
Thank You for your service.

EuroJoe

Adventurer
Firstly thanks

this came up with a friend of mine in the UK, her 4 yr old started asking why everyone was wearing poppies (remembrance day in the UK http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day )

she wondered what to tell her little girl...

"Tell her its to celebrate the lives of brave people" was the simplest and sincerest answer. 6 seems awful young to get into an understanding of war, most adults have trouble understanding both sides

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
They also want the names of 3 family members, and the wars, etc
Seems like the teacher hasn't thought this out very well (based on some of the stuff I've seen my kids bring home I'm not surprised).
There is a vast number of veterans who either didn't serve during time of war, who remained stateside or served in places where there were no combat operations.

That said, I agree with the "don't over think it" replies.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Speaking as a Daddy and a Veteran:

I would ask her to write down the things shes loves about her life. What she loves about her neighborhood, what she likes about her school, forests, parks, her home, ect.

Give her a little time to do the thinking, and writing stuff down.

Then I would simply say.... "Honey, if you were to thank someone for those things, the first people you should thank are the Veterans."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles