Dayhike/Emergency Overnight Backpack

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I remember we talked about this one here on the portal

I searched and found it HERE

especially after the latest story in the news - this is a vital piece of gear to carry just in case - I have mine set up in a larger camelback

jrsteffes

Adventurer
Desertdude said:
I remember we talked about this one here on the portal

I searched and found it HERE

especially after the latest story in the news - this is a vital piece of gear to carry just in case - I have mine set up in a larger camelback

Thanks for the link, must have missed it. Anyone else have anything to add. I want to put together a basic bag that can handel as many situations as possible but in a small package (1800ci). Was thinking about a poncho/poncho liner as a raincoat/shelter/blanket/coat/sleeping bag/who knows? Anyone use a poncho as a shelter or the poncho liner as a sleeping bag before? Once the bag is compleated (soon I hope) I am going to give it the true test with a overnight in the wilderness with only whats in the bag. I guess im thinking fastpacker meets survivalist with this thing.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
jrsteffes said:
Anyone use a poncho as a shelter or the poncho liner as a sleeping bag before?
Never had to sleep overnight with only a poncho, but I do routinely use one as a temporary shelter when I ride MTB patrols in the summer for short periods when a t-storm rolls though, for like 15 minutes. This works better than just a rain jacket since I can keep my whole body and backpack dry. I carry a cheap-o one from the surplus store and it does work well as a small tent.

asteffes

Explorer
I would avoid tactical-looking packs in favor of a plain daypack. A JanSport-like daypack will attact less attention if you're using your pack during a serious social breakdown. Tactical packs can make you a target, as you'll appear to be very well-equipped, possibly with a firearm. My $0.02.

Bighead

Adventurer
jrsteffes said:
Thanks for the link, must have missed it. Anyone else have anything to add. I want to put together a basic bag that can handel as many situations as possible but in a small package (1800ci). Was thinking about a poncho/poncho liner as a raincoat/shelter/blanket/coat/sleeping bag/who knows? Anyone use a poncho as a shelter or the poncho liner as a sleeping bag before? Once the bag is compleated (soon I hope) I am going to give it the true test with a overnight in the wilderness with only whats in the bag. I guess im thinking fastpacker meets survivalist with this thing.
The bad thing about a poncho liner/poncho sleeping bag is that it does not seal all the way. I have used a poncho liner inside of a gortex bivy sack as my sleeping bag and it works pretty well.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Here is a start:

Map / GPS / Compass
Flashlight / Headlamp (LED is good due to awesome run time)
Food (think high calorie, long lasting)
Extra Clothes (layer system, insulation and shell)
Sunglasses / Sunscreen
First-Aid Kit / Medicines
Pocket Knife / Multi-tool
Waterproof Matches / Lighter / Firestarter (think redundant)
Water / Filter / Bottles
Whistle / Mirror
Insect Repellents / Netting (environment dependant item)
Cash

And I disagree completely with this:

"I would avoid tactical-looking packs in favor of a plain daypack. A JanSport-like daypack will attact less attention if you're using your pack during a serious social breakdown. Tactical packs can make you a target, as you'll appear to be very well-equipped, possibly with a firearm. My $0.02."

The best pack style will be 1000+cu.in. and if you are carrying a heavy load will have a real waist belt that can support some of the load. Check out the Camelback line of packs, they are very good with built in water. Also some of the Blackhawk stuff is good too.

I like the larger "hydration" style packs with the built in water. Very convenient set up.

If you are doing this on a tight budget, then yes, buy some cheap daypack from Big 5. Better than nothing.

Maddmatt

Explorer
jrsteffes said:
Anyone use a poncho as a shelter or the poncho liner as a sleeping bag before?

On of the most versatile items I ever owned was an army store camo poncho. I paid maybe $15 for that thing, and took it everywhere. It served as a poncho, a seating area for picnics, it got tied between trees and kept rain and snow of off me and my closest friends. The only down side is that it was true Army store issue, so it was heavy and somewhat bulky when packed. And it certainly didn't breathe, but it was always waterproof. Never slept in it though.
-Matt

asteffes

Explorer
calamaridog said:
Here is a start:

Map / GPS / Compass
Flashlight / Headlamp (LED is good due to awesome run time)
Food (think high calorie, long lasting)
Extra Clothes (layer system, insulation and shell)
Sunglasses / Sunscreen
First-Aid Kit / Medicines
Pocket Knife / Multi-tool
Waterproof Matches / Lighter / Firestarter (think redundant)
Water / Filter / Bottles
Whistle / Mirror
Insect Repellents / Netting (environment dependant item)
Cash

And I disagree completely with this:

"I would avoid tactical-looking packs in favor of a plain daypack. A JanSport-like daypack will attact less attention if you're using your pack during a serious social breakdown. Tactical packs can make you a target, as you'll appear to be very well-equipped, possibly with a firearm. My $0.02."

The best pack style will be 1000+cu.in. and if you are carrying a heavy load will have a real waist belt that can support some of the load. Check out the Camelback line of packs, they are very good with built in water. Also some of the Blackhawk stuff is good too.

I like the larger "hydration" style packs with the built in water. Very convenient set up.

If you are doing this on a tight budget, then yes, buy some cheap daypack from Big 5. Better than nothing.

Oh, I agree a pack with a proper suspension makes sense if you are carrying a heavy load. Just do not get one in solid black with gobs of MOLLE webbing all over it. A standard backpacker pack from a good sporting goods store would be better, IMO.

Bergger

Explorer
8100-100_GUIDE130w.jpg

I use the older version of this pack. It costs a bit more but the features and comfort of this pack make it well worth the money. I have a tactical pack that I use during my military time and while good a well constructed mountain pack is much better. They are much more comfortable, lighter and have more features. Living in the Rockies I've had it snow and sleet on me in July so I go prepared whether I'm hiking or driving through the mountains. I usually carry:

Complete change of clothes
Fire starting kit(matches, lighter, fire sticks/vasoline cotton balls)
multi tool/knife
gun(I'm a cop so I almost always have one)
high energy food/candy
water/ water filter
whistles
mirror
gps
talk about radio(to keep in touch with partner)
cell phone(may work)
local topo map
jacket/fleece(even in summer)
550 cord
tarp(with 550 cord can make a great shelter)
head lamp/signal flash light
fishing line/hooks/flies
common sense!

As always, have a good pair of boots and let someone know where you are going and your expected return date/time.

BCJC

Adventurer
:iagree: very similar to the SAR pack i take on searches (i'm just a volunteer). well, everything except the gun...;) , but i do always have a fixed blade knife close at hand (some big cats 'round here). and telling someone where your going and when you'll be back is huge.

jrsteffes

Adventurer
Looks like lots of good info! I like the specs of the Camelbak Talon so I think im going to stick with it (although it has a military look). I have started my list and recently got a nice giftcard to sportsmans warehouse so it should be coming together soon. Once completed I will post some pics and a detailed list of items. Thanks for all the input!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier