Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bigger Red Pig

Default The Bigger Red Pig

I've got a 91.5 Dodge W250 Cummins powered 4x4. It is a regular cab 5 sp, bench seat, long bed truck. Its nothing overly special but its in good shape for its age. The biggest attraction to it for me was the mechanical cummins. I wanted a truck that was as simple as possible.

The eventual goal with it is to be able to use it to camp out at different ski resorts in Colorado to do some snowboarding. I work for a resort and they buy my tickets to other resorts so I want a rig to take advantage of that. I've already slept in the truck about 10 days this year, but I'm wanting something a little more comfortable than sleeping on the benchseat with a blanket and a pillow. The plan is to get some sort of hard topper(I'd love a wildernest but I can't afford one yet), rig up some cabinets, some sort of grill/coleman stove, a heater, and probably an air mattress.

My trucks main job so far has been to move everything I own around or to carry dirtbikes so I actually don't have a picture of it without some sort of stuff in the bed but here it is.

This is the old mountain work truck I used for work that got me started on the mopars. I was so impressed by it that I had to get a truck like it after my blazer died. I drove this truck through all sorts of rocks, mud, deep snow, and up some seriously steep slopes. All it ever got was oil changes, a new belt every few years, and some new front tires after 20 years. Seriously beat up, but still worked perfect.

Last edited by lstzephyr; 11-12-2011 at 06:13 AM.

Tigard, Oregon Or as far away from civilization as Time and money allow
    Hell yeah, if it's a Domestic, for me it has to be a MOPAR!!!! That is a great older truck and the motor alone is worth a mint to some. If/When the body fails take the drivetrain and swap it into something else...

Can't wait to see what you do with'er.

Cheers

Dave
    *EMS/Fire/Rescue/Winderness EMS guy... it comes in handy from time to time.*
    - 95 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Limited: Project "4Rescue2" underway
    *1KZ-TE Diesel, SAS, OME Rear Leaf suspension conversion, Custom Armor... I'm going grey faster then this truck is getting finished.
    - 89 Toyota 4Runner dubbed "Project 4Rescue": Rafting/Exploration rig, Rescue rig, daily driver, Home away from home...
    *22RE 5spd. OME suspension, 33x10.50 BFG At's, Marlin Armor, 389K miles

good luck with the build. i love anything domestic. im more of a chevy man but i have nothing against mopar. especially one with that work of art under the hood. cant beat an old cummins! keep us posted on the build.
    johnny cash coming across the speakers, tires clawing their way through the dirt on a cold, clear Texas night. that's what its all about. no destination, just an adventure to be had.

here is what I have done with mine. (except bigger tires)
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...1&d=1250716930
    red 92 dodge ram KC driving&long range lights,hella fog lights,warn winch.

great looking mopar you have there. looking forward to see what you do with it.

Talking Cummins First Gen Love....

Welcome! I believe we speak the same language...

Attachment 26179
    Attachment 26180

KEENO
    Last edited by KEENO; 10-29-2009 at 05:46 AM.
    1992 Dodge W250 w/ 1998 5.9 Cummins 12V with Bosch P7100 Mech. Injector Pump, NVG4500HD 5spd. & stuff. WilderNest Expandable Camper (Summer) or 8 ft. Alaskan Camper (Winter)
    2002 Honda XR650L "Big Red Pig" & more stuff

Nice truck!

I wouldn't trade my 92 for anything! You just can't beat the mechanical 12v, bombproof drive train, simplicity and classic styling that these trucks offer

The horribly ride quality is another story
    91- F350 CC - 7.3-IDI IH diesel - ATS Turbocharger - ZF 5speed - 1981 Four Wheel Camper
    79- Toyota Hilux 20R 4x4.

My Gypsy wagon buildup: http://expeditionportal.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=38047

Keeno: Your truck is the one that convinced me that I need to find a wildernest sometime. I think that would rock for a summer race(bike) rig.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. You aren't kidding about the ride quality, the pig did some work today and I came out of the seat about 4 times offroad. Also I stopped by a couple junkyards today looking for a driver side armrest and it was surprising that the only first gens around have no more doors. Odd.

There probably won't be anything overly exciting happening to it until I find a topper. The goal is to have a stealth camper, so work truck style is the goal. Its also going to be a budget build as I'm a student currently so I'm short on cash. I usually travel by motorcycle so any type of roof is a major luxury when crap weather shows up. The current supermoto/dirtbike is the true "expedition" vehicle and any substantial money will go toward traveling on it anyway.

A little more history about me to complete the introduction. I traveled all over the southeast, across the country, into Cali, and all around arizona on this streetbike back in the day.

Then I was introduced to dirtbikes, and offroad by an older gentleman(who still smokes me offroad!)

Picked up a newer dirtbike and started racing/truck camping.(I like the chevys as well Biglos)

Worked for the ski resort and was introduced to big mountains and deeper offroad with the aforementioned old silver dodge. Also did a bit of singletrack and two track with the old honda. The blazer and the old honda were replaced with the dodge and new honda. Thats my story so far.

Now off to craigslist to find myself a cheap topper(to replace that tarp).
    Last edited by lstzephyr; 10-29-2009 at 07:36 AM.

Wink SkyJacker 2 1/2 Front Springs

Thanks 1stzephyr.... I wouldn't part with my truck for much else either. She's Family!

The quick & easy fix for the ride quality is a set of SkyJacker 2 1/2" Front Springs. This simple mod levels out the First Gens and gets the springs off of the Jounce Bumpers for a better ride! After many years of use, the weight of the Cummins takes a toll on the already marginal OEM front Springs.

We've done a (5) trucks this way and all have happy owners!

Here's sweet 1992 w250 First Gen that my Ex-Girlfriend used to own. (A "double-Loss"? truck & gurl?)
    CX Big Rig.jpg
    CX Big Rig DS.jpg

KEENO

Quote Originally Posted by lstzephyr View Post
    That BRP had to be a LOT of weight on the back of your S10 Blazer! I upgraded my Range Rover to OME HD springs to support my little CRF250X.

Good luck with your search for a cap. You may be able to find a used shell at one of the dealers in Denver (A&A, Suburban Toppers, etc.)
    My 09 Tacoma build thread

"Cross the bridge to the country roads; I'll follow that star wherever it goes" Wandering Star -- Lucero

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast