A great little market for supplies

Gone2Baja

Adventurer
For those of you traveling to Anza Borrego{or just live in the area} on hwy 78 or 79 you should stop in Santa Ysabel look for a small market called Don's{easy to find-it's the only market around} go to the small butcher counter and buy some homemade sausage for your trip. The jalapeño sausage is fantastic {just don't over cook it!} the spicy Italian is also one of my favorites and if you like chorizo they make some of the best I've ever had! While there walk over to Dudley's bakery for some fresh bread and you'll have the makings of a great meal.

When I lived in SoCal we would sometimes drive out just for this and a apple pie of course!

I apologize to those of you that live in other parts of the country and have no idea where this is but I bet you have a place like it, so lets hear about you're secret 'food gems'.

www.donsmarketsantaysabel.com
www.dudleysbakery.com

Last edited:

CJCA

Adventurer
Talking about sausage, I doubt there's anything secret about Lockeford Meat & Sausage, other than it's a bit out of the way of mainstream traffic. Probably the best sausages in the San Joaquin / Sacramento Valley. Not a hot to go food stand, but a sausage maker that sells sausage for the consumer to cook wherever they end up at.

If you travel Highway 88 at all you've seen the big plastic cow sign in Lockeford. Stop in some time. They've got a great selection of in-house made sausages and a full butcher shop as well. Sausage varieties must be close to twenty different kinds. Brats, linguisa, andouille, bangers, chorizo, hot links, and on and on......... They don’t have a website but there’s lots of mention of them on the web.

I'd always have a cooler with ice ready when driving 88 just to load up on sausages. Had to take ‘em with us to Nevada on the way up to the desert and grabbed another cooler full on the way back home when living in the BA. Good stuff!

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
Good sausage? Man, get yourself to Wisconsin. Drive aimlessly for about 15 minutes and you will find an awesome sausage place.

There is no better place in the land for sausage, other than my kitchen of course.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
In Michigan they toss cherry's into the grinder, along with some apples. Makes an amazing sausage

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz