Volunteer SAR "Perks"

MrEarp

Nothing for perks in Michigan. I set up some discount programs with our local outdoor companies who are interested but thats it.

Then again nothing beats the feeling of a succesful SAR mission returning someones loved one to them.

Radio

Observer
Here in SE Alberta, we get nothing and expect nothing. We do it because we can and for the feeling of contribution. Hell, the City even charges us rent and parking fees to store our truck/trailers and keep a very, very small office for other equipment. But hey, it's the adventure, training and involvement that counts!

Spikepretorius

Explorer
I scored a total luck recently.
A guy from a forum that I moderate contacted me via email and asked me to supply him with a "wish list" of all the kit that I need that could be supplied by outlets A, B and C.
I don't know this guy, have never met him, and he lives in another city.

So anyway, I sent him a long list of stuff ranging from expensive to cheap thinking he'd maybe pick something off the list.
Lo and behold he got me the whole list of stuff. Shipping monday 8th. So I'll hopefully be having a second Christmas late next week some time

GPS
Rain gear
Technical clothing
Salomon Cosmic 4D GTX boots
Salomon M's XT Wings Trail Shoes
Wicking thermal underwear
Dueter ATC Lite 40+10 rucksack
Lightweight cooker
Insulated waterproof gloves
etc etc

And he chucked a Leatherman Charge TTi in on the deal as well without me asking for it

So I'm a happy chappie :wings:

Chas Stricker

Adventurer
We get great perks. We pay for our own fuel. Just got some nice damage to my POV during some search training over the weekend, I'll pay for that too! I think it is worth every penny and every minute of time. It's cool to be able to help. I'm hoping I can keep this up for a long time.
Chas

the dude

Adventurer
As others have stated, we get our training paid for as volunteers. (its' not free, someone pays)

Oakley Sunglasses gives discount to SAR members in Canada. I had to sign up and email a copy of my SAR ID to be eligible.

Drop Zone tactical in Edmonton also gives discount to SAR members.

I wish SAR qualified for the Arcterx Leaf program.

The expense can be be huge for SAR members, I think as more EMOs get involved, there will be more programs/retailers getting on board to allow for more "perks" as far as equipment purchases go.

khaywood

Annual "uniform" allowance from the department and federal tax deduction for mileage and required equipment that isn't otherwise covered by the uniform allowance. Nothing at the state level that I am aware of.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
Wow, thats pretty good actually. We had to buy our uniforms and equipment. We were paid $1/year, with taxes and union dues from that. The only benefit was qualifying 'expert' which got us a $30/mo (I think) ammo bonus.

Of course, qualifying expert basically meant not shooting the range officers or their vehicles.:Wow1:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Pro-discount purchasing on all your gear is a nice perk.

Yup! Definitely nice.

Biggest perk undoubtedly is being able to save someone's life who is in need of help (for whatever reason, no questions asked). I'm sure we'd all want someone looking for us if we were to get lost/disoriented/etc.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
When I was VERY active with SAR teams, I used to keep very good records of my expenditures - gear, meals while on SAR missions, mileage, etc.

I had so much mileage logged in a contemporaneous, hand-written notebook that my accountant didn't want to claim it: He said that claiming that much mileage would trigger an audit.

We don't do SAR for the perks....

In OR, gear and mileage can be written off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke