Volunteer SAR "Perks"

NovaScotiaYota

Just wondering if any other volunteer SAR groups from Canada or the States get any perks for their time and effort? Here in Nova Scotia, our bi-annual vehicle registration fee is waived(roughly $200). We also get a special licence plate to show our designation:

Attachments

• ns2004search.jpg
    ns2004search.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 427

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
Thats pretty cool!

In California, we didn't get anything except more callouts. I even got a relatively minor traffic ticket (which I deserved) while on a search from some cop in Arizona.....

seanz0rz

Adventurer
pretty much its not appreciated at all out here.

i looked into doing it, but going through all the government red tape just wasnt worth it.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Perks....

I've saved more lives than I can count. I've brought (hopefully) some sense of closure to the families of those we haven't been able to save.

I have a second "family" that I know, without question, will put their lives on the line for me, and I will do the same.

Our training is free...GPS, Tracking, Map & Compass, Alternative Navigation, ATV, Vehicle use/recovery, CERT (Community Emergency Response Team), Communications/Radios/Repeater Systems, Rope work (High Angle/Low Angle), Helicopter, Wilderness Survival, Winter Survival, Desert Survival, Incident Management, etc....just to name a few that have crossed my mind....

Wilderness first aid courses are less than 1/2 price....

So, I've learned a heck of a lot, and have turned to teaching those who are new to the unit.

In the US, members of SAR teams (and other EMS folks) are able to forego Federal Jury Duty, upon request, as we're already serving the community.

When everyone else in the Courthouse on Monday mornings is talking about their "wicked" golf game over the weekend...I get to say I jumped out of a helicopter onto an avalanche path....:coffeedrink:

-H-

tombodad

Adventurer
Perks....

I've saved more lives than I can count. I've brought (hopefully) some sense of closure to the families of those we haven't been able to save.

I have a second "family" that I know, without question, will put their lives on the line for me, and I will do the same.

Our training is free...GPS, Tracking, Map & Compass, Alternative Navigation, ATV, Vehicle use/recovery, CERT (Community Emergency Response Team), Communications/Radios/Repeater Systems, Rope work (High Angle/Low Angle), Helicopter, Wilderness Survival, Winter Survival, Desert Survival, Incident Management, etc....just to name a few that have crossed my mind....

Wilderness first aid courses are less than 1/2 price....

So, I've learned a heck of a lot, and have turned to teaching those who are new to the unit.

In the US, members of SAR teams (and other EMS folks) are able to forego Federal Jury Duty, upon request, as we're already serving the community.

When everyone else in the Courthouse on Monday mornings is talking about their "wicked" golf game over the weekend...I get to say I jumped out of a helicopter onto an avalanche path....:coffeedrink:

-H-

Exactly why I'm signing up. Just printed out a bunch of forms last night! :wings:

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Don't think we have anything THAT cool to talk about around the water cooler here in TX, but I'm game. All I need to do now is find out where to sign up!

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Don't think we have anything THAT cool to talk about around the water cooler here in TX, but I'm game. All I need to do now is find out where to sign up!

Try your local sheriff's department. Most SAR teams are under that entity.

...I forgot about pro deal gear!

-H-

Momrocks

Adventurer
pretty much its not appreciated at all out here.

i looked into doing it, but going through all the government red tape just wasnt worth it.

It is good to see discounts on pro gear, etc and other minor perks for our SAR heros. Keeping an effective SAR unit trained, equipped and organized is very difficult, it just aint cheap. Thanks to those that volunteer their time and resources as rescuers. Nobody here is doing it for a profit, it really isn't possible. Your training time, call out time and bulk of your gear is volunteered in most cases in direct competition with family, business and other obligations.

Leaders and organizers are those to be thanked for the little bennies that may come along the way. They are the ones promoting SAR locally, securing some discounts and assistance along the way. If it weren't for grants and corporate contributions many SAR groups would be stalled. Writing applications for grants is a tedious, mysterious and time consuming process. But like everything else, SAR is coin operated.

Oddly enough in my community CERT seems to have greater access to Governmental resources than SAR. Our regional utility corporation has stepped up to provide contributions to fund boats, C and C vehicle etc. Good on them.

Cody1771

Explorer
id love to do this. but the local (North Shore Rescue) is quite demanding and expects more than what i can offer since i have to up and leave for 4 weeks at a time with my work on the SAR ship on the coast haha...

biglos454

Adventurer
Ive always been interested in SAR volunteer work. dont know what kind of programs we have here on the Texas coast, but i think its time i really start looking into it. especially since i have a pretty decent work schedule with a lot of time off.:sombrero:

I'm pretty certain the money I've sunk into gear and such has far exceeded any of the small perks I've gotten after volunteering for 15+ years. There's an occasional deal on personal gear or something but not very often, perhaps because we're not out there proactively researching and looking.

Since we work under the direction of a local PD, a "perk" I've liked has been to be shot to bits with Simunitions and cuffed and dragged around by the SWAT team and the rest of the dept. Beats work! :D

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
When I was VERY active with SAR teams, I used to keep very good records of my expenditures - gear, meals while on SAR missions, mileage, etc.

I had so much mileage logged in a contemporaneous, hand-written notebook that my accountant didn't want to claim it: He said that claiming that much mileage would trigger an audit.

We don't do SAR for the perks....

PhulesAU

Explorer
Ive always been interested in SAR volunteer work. dont know what kind of programs we have here on the Texas coast, but i think its time i really start looking into it. especially since i have a pretty decent work schedule with a lot of time off.:sombrero:

There are NO perks in Texas. There are no programs outside of regulas FD or PD. eqqusearch doesn't know jack about SAR. each county Sheriff has responsibility for such operations.

biglos454

Adventurer
There are NO perks in Texas. There are no programs outside of regulas FD or PD. eqqusearch doesn't know jack about SAR. each county Sheriff has responsibility for such operations.

that's what Ive come to find out since ive started looking for a program here in Texas. guess ill just have to wait until i move to another state:coffee:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles