just did a week of cold weather camping

frumpy

Explorer
Well just got back from a week out in the field for work. Stayed in a tent with the temperature hitting about -15 (and waking up to the ground being frozen along with everything else). Not too bad but it does feel pretty damn cold.

A few points...

bivy bags - worth their weight in gold. I had my winter sleeping bag but could have easily gotten away with my summer one and the bivy bag.

Glow sticks - awesome to have and have a ton of uses.

real food is good - I kept my ration packs to keep in my vehicle for emergencies and took full advantage of the fresh breakfasts and dinners. For lunches, PB&J with fresh fruit :victory:

Sleeping pad - a good defiantly helps keep you warm

and lesson learned, I'm defiantly getting a heater for next time.

Abel Villesca

Explorer
Wow! I have been contemplating some winter camping and have been scared off by 20 degree weather. Your thread makes me feel like a chicken. :sombrero:

frumpy

Explorer
those are Celsius temperatures, about 5 F. My gear is rated to -40C though so not that bad at all lol.

jh504

Explorer
I've been thinking about the same thing for January. I've camped in 20 degrees before and been alright but that was with the Jeep and a lot of gear. Me and a friend are plannin on hiking/camping a portion of the AT after we graduate paramedic in December. Any suggestions for hiking in those temps?

Desert Dan

Explorer
When camping in the winter I usually sleep in the back of my H3 or bring my 4 season backpacking tent.

At least when you sleep in a truck or camper shell you don't get the wind noise from the tent/rainfly.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Worst i've been in is -18 C. Cold enough for me. I love cold weather though... i'll take it over triple digit heat anyday. I can always get warmer... its hard for me to cool down. Can't wait for it to snow here, so we can do another snow trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke