Trip Report: White Rim Trail, Canyonlands Nat Park

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Thanks for sharing. I really enjoy your approach.

Two questions though:

Your Ford looks like a crew cab and a shorter bed. Is it the 6 1/2' ?

What do you think about towing a trailer with a full size vehicle?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Crew Cab with the 6' bed. Depends what size trailer you're towing, but for me, the crew cab with the 6' bed is the perfect sized truck. Short enough to get into some tight trails but big enough to tow a 25' travel trailer with ease for the last 80,000 miles

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Pat, great writeup and photos as usual. When were you on the WRT? I was just there the weekend before last. We were going to do the WRT but ended up bringing the dog with us so the national park was a no go. We ended up on on the other side of the Colorado. My fiance and I just got that same roof top tent but it arrived after we left leaving us to use a ground tent. We had some huge winds at night that blew sand up under the rain fly and made for some gritty tent occupents. We kept remarking about how less sandy we might have been in an RTT. Glad to hear you guys had a less filthy experience then us! haha

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Kristian, I think we were probably there the exact same time

I'd have to say that we've camped through a few sand storms in ground tents, and have woken up to a gritty morning.

With the Camping Lab RTT, we were both amazed with the winds we slept through and the fact that we woke up to no sand in the tent at all. Amazing what that thing will stand up to! If it can stay upright in those winds, I'd say its safe in about anything less than a Hurricane

That area sure is beautiful isnt it!!

JamesDowning

Explorer
Pat, I just spent a good 40 minutes reading over your writeup and looking over your photos. Wow, you've really talked me into visiting this trail! I loved your recollection of the trail and the funny little side notes here and there. I like the idea of imagining you're on a boat in the Caribbean too... might be a good trick to use next time a storm brews up on the wife and I! You guys seem like a really cool couple, we'd probably get along well. Cheers, and I look forward to reading more of your trip reports! :elkgrin:

kerry

Expedition Leader
I'm thinking about doing the White Rim Trail in my Fuso FG with a pop up camper. You say the trail is narrow. Do you think it will accommodate my truck? I think Bajaroad did it in his Fuso FG but with a flatbed. I've driven down into Mineral Bottom quite a few times in a car to paddle the river and it seems the FG would have no trouble with that part of the road. In fact, I've been down that part of the road in a full size 4wd schoolbus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles