Tent for year round camping

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I'm a bit of a tent addict. I won't publicly admit that I own say more than 7 tents. That would be embarrasing.

That Trango 2 suggestion is a great one (for you the Trango 3.1 or 4). I have a Trango 2 that I've used off and on since 1997 when I was one of Mountain Hardwear's field testing team. I used it at 12,000+ feet on Longs Peak amidst 50-65mph winds and it held like a fortress. I also used it on several climbs in Alaska which brought on some truly spooky snow loads and it did great.

It's pretty bombproof, but the weights (9.2lbs, 10.9lbs and 12.1lbs) make it a bit of a tank.

If weight is a concern, I use my Bibler Eldorado singlewall which rivals any tent I've ever used for comfort, weight and durability. I've used my Eldorado in storms that had me truly fearful of surviving the night and I'm sure most other shelters would have failed me. On one trip, my Eldorado was the only one of four tents to survive the night. I think the Bibler fabric is the best fabric any tent has ever been made of. Never an uncomfortable night in a Bibler and I used mine almost daily as a mountain guide. It's going on year 11 and still looking pretty good. That said, I'd trust any tent Cam at Nemo is making to replace my Eldo....gulp. Okay..I know I would.

That all said, my new favorite tent is our Big Agnes Big House 6 with vestibule. That dude is massive and comfy. We can throw two Pico chairs, a table and our pizza oven in the vestibule alone!! My wife can almost walk around in the vestibule without duckying her head. I love that monster. It's even moderately cozy in colder temps as the venting can be somewhat regulated.

Last edited:

refried

Adventurer
I'm a big fan of Sierra Designs tents, they're well made and use good quality fabrics. If I was looking for a 4 person 4 season tent I might give this a good look.
http://sierradesigns.com/tents.display.php?id=73
I have the 3 season version (same tent made with mesh panels) and am very happy with it, It's held up to high winds and snow so I'm sure the 4 season would do better. I may buy the 4 season body since I like the tent so much, it uses the same poles and fly.
I used a Eureka Timberline 4 for over 20 years and it held up well, it's still good enough to be my loaner tent.

Waytec

Adventurer
I went into the local out door shop to day and talked to them. The owner has climbed a lot in North America and now dos a lot of "car" camping now that the kids are small.
She suggested that The MHW Trango 3 would probably fit in very well. at $700 it is way cheaper them a trailer a little cheaper then a RTT and larger, but a little more then I wanted to spend. Just need to talk to Krista about it now.
I cannot get over the new tents (like I said I have not been tent shopping for almost 10 years) the 3 seasons are mostly mesh not very good for where I am going.

just eric

Adventurer
If you are sold on the Trango 3.1 you may be in luck, Moosejaw has it on sale for $529 american:

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Mountain-Hardwear-Trango-3.1-Tent_10083738____?cm_mmc=CSE-_-GoogleBase-_-na-_-Mountain-Hardwear-Trango-3.1-Tent&ad_id=GoogleBase

If they wont ship to Canada we may be able to work something out. Let m e know what you find out and if you are interested.

As for the Bibler Eldorado, it is a great tent but will more than likely be way too small for you and your wife to be comfortable. It is designed for mountaineering at altitude and not for car camping. Granted, the Trango isn't designed for car camping either but at 6'2" tall, the extra 5 inches of length and 9 inches of height will be nice.

78Bronco

Explorer
This is my outside inn by Eureka. It features a unique design where the sleeping portion hangs from the fly. The aluminum poles attach to the waterproof fly and a seperate floor plan drops in. Loads of room to keep gear dry & front garage door. It has 4000mm rated fly. Your mountain hardware is only 1500mm rating and the same money. If it's raining hard you can pack all you stuff up under the fly and keep dry. You car backs right up to the tent's garage door. You should go check Eureka out. http://www.eurekaeurope.com/en/tents.php?group=5&product=65 Optional Kid's Room

65-2.jpg

65-5.jpg

Materials
Fly: 75D Ripstop Polyester "Stormshield" min. 4000mm. PU coating, fire-retardant
Innertent: 70D 190T breathable Nylon Taffeta, fire-retardant
Floor: 150D Oxford Polyester, min. 6000mm PU coating, fire-retardant
Poles: 16mm. DAC T6025 Aluminium

Last edited:

paulj

Expedition Leader
Who did you get the Eureka from? It looks like a European model, not a USA one. It has features that are relatively rare in the US, such as the external skeleton (poles fit in the waterproof 'fly', not the inner tent), and a good connection to a car.

Eureka US is mostly aimed at a lower-middle part of the market, though they do have some expedition stuff. You are more likely to find it at Sportsmart or (now defunct) GIJoes than at REI or EMS.

78Bronco

Explorer
Who did you get the Eureka from? It looks like a European model, not a USA one. It has features that are relatively rare in the US, such as the external skeleton (poles fit in the waterproof 'fly', not the inner tent), and a good connection to a car.

Eureka US is mostly aimed at a lower-middle part of the market, though they do have some expedition stuff. You are more likely to find it at Sportsmart or (now defunct) GIJoes than at REI or EMS.

Skyview Outdoors in Surrey, BC

http://www.skyviewcamping.com/index.html

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
If weight is a concern, I use my Bibler Eldorado singlewall which rivals any tent I've ever used for comfort, weight and durability. I've used my Eldorado in storms that had me truly fearful of surviving the night and I'm sure most other shelters would have failed me. On one trip, my Eldorado was the only one of four tents to survive the night. I think the Bibler fabric is the best fabric any tent has ever been made of. Never an uncomfortable night in a Bibler and I used mine almost daily as a mountain guide. It's going on year 11 and still looking pretty good. .

I have a Bibler I-tent. Two of us spent a few days in it at below freezing temps and at 10,200' elevation. It worked like a mule in the wind and weather. The other guy with us also had a brand new tent from a lesser company. It ripped the first night.

IMG_1568.jpg

Site seen from 10,800

IMG_1566.jpg

Forum members; Expedition exchange sells them.

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
As for the Bibler Eldorado, it is a great tent but will more than likely be way too small for you and your wife to be comfortable. It is designed for mountaineering at altitude and not for car camping..
Agreed. I still consider the Eldorado as the gold standard for extreme weather and extreme condition shelter, but heck - for car camping I bring a tent that would accommodate 3 Eldorado tents inside!

By the way, the coolest car camping tent I've seen in years is the OzTent. I helped Bajataco and edgear with the family camping tent review in Overland Journal and that tent was the show stopper. It was nearly perfect in every way save for two rather significant points: 1) It ain't cheap! 2) You have to have a unique vehicle to carry a tent that packs down to a 6',6" long bag. It would have to go on my roof. Plus, I like to set up a tent and feel comfortable leaving it for the day. If someone ganks my $400 Big Agnes, I'll be super ticked, but I'd feel weird leaving behind a $1500 OzTent without a pitbull to guard it.

78Bronco

Explorer
Agreed. I still consider the Eldorado as the gold standard for extreme weather and extreme condition shelter, but heck - for car camping I bring a tent that would accommodate 3 Eldorado tents inside!

By the way, the coolest car camping tent I've seen in years is the OzTent. I helped Bajataco and edgear with the family camping tent review in Overland Journal and that tent was the show stopper. It was nearly perfect in every way save for two rather significant points: 1) It ain't cheap! 2) You have to have a unique vehicle to carry a tent that packs down to a 6',6" long bag. It would have to go on my roof. Plus, I like to set up a tent and feel comfortable leaving it for the day. If someone ganks my $400 Big Agnes, I'll be super ticked, but I'd feel weird leaving behind a $1500 OzTent without a pitbull to guard it.

I find it odd that there is no information regarding the fabric ratings for such an expensive tent. With it shaped like a brick how does it hold up to a 60mph wind?

24HOURSOFNEVADA said:
I have a Bibler I-tent. Two of us spent a few days in it at below freezing temps and at 10,200' elevation. It worked like a mule in the wind and weather. The other guy with us also had a brand new tent from a lesser company. It ripped the first night.

Those tents are small and once again no ratings for the fabric. If I've learnt anything from car camping with a tent and a woman is that they want to stand up to dress.

Chriscanoe

Observer
If you are car camping you may want to check out a Springbar tents. They are single wall canvas, so lightweight does not apply, but they are super strong, roomy, and warm. Also the price is reasonable compared to some of the others mentioned here. They are old school, but they work.

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
x2 on the Mountain Hardware Trango. My Trango 3.1 was hands down the best tent I've ever had. Absolutely bomb proof in the winter, but unlike most mountaineering tents it vents incredibly well in the summer. Well designed tent makes operating everything easy, the vestibules are large and functional, etc.

I read a LOT of reviews before I bought this tent and I don't think I found one person who didn't love theirs.

Craig

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I find it odd that there is no information regarding the fabric ratings for such an expensive tent. With it shaped like a brick how does it hold up to a 60mph wind?

The Bibler fabric is legendary. I'm not sure what you are looking for in terms of ratings, but it's not like any other fabric on the market. If I recall, the fabric is made through a process that almost resembles a baking process. The exterior is smooth, but the interior of the fabric feels brushed, almost like cotton. It's that inner texture that disperses moisture much like most technical fabrics used in outdoor clothing. That's what makes a Bibler such a dry and comfortable night's sleep. I very rarely have moisture in my bibler.

Regarding the architecture and storm proofness - The Bibler I-Tent and Eldorado are built on the basic "Mountain Wedge" design commonly used by darn near everyone for extremely strong tents. It's basic. Two poles crossed at the center. This is common for tents by Mountain Hardware, TNF (whom I can't stand), Sierra Designs, etc. It's bomber. With the Bibler tents, the key is in the way the tent is guy'ed out. The guy lines are on loops connected from each corner at the floor level to the tent body along the corresponding pole, about 24 inches up the tent wall. This guy goes strait to the pole through the fabric and acts very much like a flying buttress. Two other guy lines pull the walls outward. It's truly insane how strong this design is. Simple designs are often the best. The single pole Mega Mid structure comes to mind. Same for hoop tents.

Having been in my Bibler above 10,000 feet in brutal storms on countless nights, I'll tell you flat out, I've trusted my life to that bit of fabric and aluminum and it has been unreal. You almost have to endure one of those ugly nights to fully appreciate it.

If bad weather is in your future, I'd put a Bibler on your must have list. For the record, I'm an equipment buyer for a pretty large outdoor store and outside of Cam's tents from Nemo, I've yet to see anything that rivals a Bibler. As I recall, even Cam said he owned a Bibler Eldo at one time. Chances are he's improved on their design.

Last edited:

Rando

Explorer
I also have a bibler fitzroy, and it is the best tent I have owned. I have used a Bibler from the Colorado Rockies, to the NZ alps to and ice sheet in Antarctica and never had a problem.

That being said, they are complete overkill for family car camping! Any of the Sierra Designs, Mountain Hardware or even Kelty four season tents should be more than enough for you, just look for what ever you can get on sale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier