Tent for year round camping

Waytec

Adventurer
My wife and I have decided that we are not going to get a Tent trailer for next year. the main resin we were looking at one was for a heater. We will get a Good tent, heater, a shelter tent (the ones you can put a picnic table under) to get out of the rain/snow (I did get snowed on the last week of June this year) and I will build a trailer to hall all the gear.

I am looking for feed back on a good winter tent.

I went camping about 8 times this past summer and got to around 0 C or colder each night in the mountains. So I think a winter tent will work best. most summer tents now are 95% mesh and that won't work worth a crap for keeping heat in. I am now vehicle based so I am thinking 4 person tent will be the best for us.

I do live in Canada so RAE is not a possibility and I have real issue with MEC's quality over the last several years.

Please help the last tent I bout was about 10years ago in is was a North Face Telus 23 and I am still using it. It is very small because at the time I purchased it I manly backpacked and canoed. I know the materials and construction methods have changed.

What works? what does not? this is the start of my research, the more info the bettor.

BC-Luc

A truly awesome camping mattress is the Downmats. Check'em out. Not cheap, but, the most confortable camping mattress I've ever slept on.

Waytec

Adventurer
I second the Therm-a-Resr we have Luxury Camps and really good quality sleeping bags. Mine is going to be replaced next year as well I have just worn it out.

dumolebob

Observer
Good place to scout out!

Here is a site worth looking at for tents and stuff. They are amazinglyu expensive, but the people who own them swear by them! Be sure to check out the various forums. It reminds me a lot of this board but with out the motorheads (like me and you). A fine way to spend an evening as these folks are A V I D!:wings:

http://www.kifaru.net/
and
Forums: http://www.kifaruforums.net/

paulj

Expedition Leader
I'm not sure you should think of a tent 'holding the heat in'. None have air tight insulated walls. While summer (3 season) tents have large areas of mesh to save weight and maximize ventillation, the fabric of 4 season tents isn't much heavier. In a double wall tent the body is a light breathable fabric. That should do a better job than mesh at keeping blowing snow out, but do much about heat loss.

The main thing that 4 season tents add is strength in the poles, to better handle snow and wind loads.

Besides the Kifaru tepees with wood heater, I'd look at some of the European style tunnel tents (such as Hilleberg).

Last edited:

just eric

Adventurer
How much are you looking to spend?
How tall are you?
Freestanding or hoop style?

There are plenty of good quality winter use tents available, even for Canadians :elkgrin:

If money is not an issue I would definitely look at the Hilleberg Nallo GT
http://estore.websitepros.com/1764795/-strse-62/Hilleberg-Nallo-2-GT/Detail.bok
They aren't cheap but they have been field tested around the world and have received rave reviews.

For a little less money I would look at the north face VE-25 or the Mountain Hardware Trango 2 or 3. I have personally spent many a night in China at over 15,000 feet in a Mountain Hardware Annapurna (a lighter discontinued version of the Trango) and it worked flawlessly.

When looking for a solid winter tent I would consider the following:
-Pole diameter and material, this is not a place to skimp. While the ultralght carbon poles are nice for light and fast backpacking, they have no place in your winter tent.
-Taped seems.
-Steepness of walls (for shedding snow).
-Inside height, you will likely be spending a good deal of time inside during storms and you want as much head room as possible.

Good luck and have fun.

mrlocksmith

Adventurer
If you still want a trailer you can try

www.haultent.com (It has a furnace option)

I use these sleeping bags they are great. Lots of down with a vapor barrier and a down filled air matteress. I get the best nights sleep in my bag.

http://www.warmlite.com/bags_In.htm

Warning the web site has some nudity as the owners promote a Naturalist lifestyle.

AS for a tent, I am switching from an RTT to a Oztent so that I may utilize the screen room to stand in and warm the tent a bit with a MrHeater while getting dressed.

HTH

Mark

Last edited:

Waytec

Adventurer
I am a larger man 6'2'' 52 shoulder and on the heavy set working on it though, My wife is 4'10'' and 100lbs soaking wet. In the tent I would like to be able to kneel at least. and not need 4 men and a boy to set it up.

I have been looking at Mountain Hard Ware tents. I am liking them, I was planning on spending around $500 CND but am willing to stretch it for quality.

adrenaline503

Explorer
Trangos by MH hands down. My wife and I have the Trango 2 and have been in down to 4 degrees in the Grand Canyon. Its sets up easily, is super stable in high winds and has 2 vestibules. We also used it over the summer and if open the vents ans crack the vestibules you get ample air flow. They use these on Denali and Rainier and on the lower camps on Everest. It has solid panels that zip over the doors and roof vents so if you get caught in a dust storm (like we did in Utah) you just zip it up. The same goes for spindrift in the snow. I look forward to using it this winter in the Cascades just so see what it can take. If you want any more info let me know.

LilKJ

Adventurer
A Bibler Eldorado or any similar ToddTex tent will be about the warmest tent you can buy hands down... I've spent some -30F to -40F nights in those in the Alaska Range and would choose nothing else...

if those are overkill for your needs the North Face VE-25 is one of the most proven 4 season tents in existence. (plus I know for a fact the tent will hold its shape with 2 feet of new snow on it)

dms1

Explorer
I have the Eureka Timberline 6 Outfitter tent and it works perfect for me and my wife. It is a 4 season tent and I can set it up by myself in about ten minutes. I think it is six feet four inches tall (you might want to check that) and I can stand up comfortably in it.

I use a buddy heater to keep it warm before we go to bed and when we get up and use Cabelas Heavy Duty Self inflating air Mattress and Cabelas Summit -20 sleeping bags in the winter.

Here is a picture of our tent setup at Kennedy Meadows,

IMG_1031.JPG

paulj

Expedition Leader
A Bibler Eldorado or any similar ToddTex tent will be about the warmest tent you can buy hands down... I've spent some -30F to -40F nights in those in the Alaska Range and would choose nothing else...

Have you measured differences in temperature between inside and out? Or is the difference in warmth just due to the lack of wind?

I've consistently measured at 10 deg (F) difference inside/out when 2 of us sleep in my Honda Element (with just a small vent window). This is measured first thing in the morning. It's hard to imagine a fabric tent doing any better.

Someone mentioned a buddy heater. Based on my limited experience with radiant heaters, I'd say the most important thing is plenty of floor space. You need a clear area around the heater. But I suspect such a tent will be cooler before you turn the heater on, than one sized just to fit two people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles