November Weight Loss Challenge

DarinM

Explorer
Yesterday I was at 115 pounds lost.
I'll have a 3 in front of my weight within a few days. It's been a long time since I had that.
Going to join a walking group here pretty quick.
Also about to have to buy some clothes. Over due on buying shirts, but I've been pushing it to avoid spending the cash. My belt now goes around me almost 1 and 1/2 times - probably the most profound personal evidence I see of how many inches I've lost.
Still want to lose at least another 100-125 pounds, and would like to lose another 150-175. I see no reason why this won't happen.
I'm still learning how to eat with my modified gut. Still having violent rejection if and when I screw up, but that's happening less and less often.
I'm very glad I had this surgery.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the update, Darin.

If you see me around town, please introduce yourself. I know we've met, but I doubt I'd recognize you. :sombrero:

Congrats, and keep up the good work. :victory:

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Darin

excellent news ! slow and steady progress is good progress !

Best you get saving for the tummy tuck !:victory:

DarinM

Explorer
First pic (one with more hair) was about this time last year.
Second was a couple days ago.
More to follow in the months to come.
Thanks, y'all, for the support and encouragement.
It really does help.

Attachments

• COLO08 027.jpg
    COLO08 027.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 10
  • smaller me.jpg
    smaller me.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 10

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Way to go, buddy! Keep it up! Soon you'll be telling people that you "aren't half the man you used to be..." :victory:

The new 'do looks much more comfortable for this weather.

DarinM

Explorer
Another followup

I'm at 143 pounds lost as of today.

This week I have committed myself to exercising and have ridden my exercise bike every night - just under 8 miles last night in 1/2 hour. While this may not seem like much to many here - this is much more than I could have considered just a few months ago. 7 months ago I weighed 520 pounds and would get out of breath walking up a short flight of stairs.

My blood pressure is consistently very good - usually around 130/78 or so.
My cholesterol is 160. My resting pulse is down from around 100 to around 75. I've lost 10 inches in my waist and I'm down from a 6x or larger shirt to a 3x (depending on manufacturer's variances of course).

I really want to hold myself as an encouragement and example to other people. I have taken very drastic steps to radically change my life. I've changed how I eat, what I do, how I think and how I exercise.
It hasn't been easy, but I am living proof that it can work. My starting point was much more extreme than most people will ever experience.

I have another minimum of 100 pounds that I am going to lose. In another 50 or so I'm going to buy a mountain-type bike and begin riding on some of the many trails in the Austin area. I can't wait.

As always, thanks to y'all for your support and encouragement and I'm looking forward to being able to keep up with y'all when we're out playing around.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Darin

thats awsome, :victory:

loosing weight is aways dificult

and I personally know that I'l start tommorow feeling......

Caduceus

Adventurer
Geez, and I feel like a slacker that this entire summer I've been saying "I need to lose 15 lbs... "

Good on you, buddy! It's amazing how that weight just kind of creeps up on you, but outstanding job getting on track. Don't let that "8 miles isn't much" mentality get you though - it's 8 more miles that I (or most of us!)rode today

(though I did run a few)

Keep up the phenomenal work!

DarinM

Explorer
I don't particularly enjoy exercising. I come up with a million excuses and rationales to avoid getting on that accursed exercise bike. Then I try to convince myself that 10 minutes of fairly vigorous riding was enough; then 20 minutes; then 25 minutes. Once I get to that point I run out of excuses because if I've made it that far, I might as well finish the 30.
What helps? I have my own goals as to what I want to do - but telling them to my coworkers makes them more real. It helps keep me honest. I hate lying - but I, like most people, find it easy to lie to myself. Lying to other people - no - this I won't do. So when I say my goal this week is to ride 50 miles, my goal is 60 in the next couple of weeks, and I want to be pushing 100 in early 2011, I really mean it.
I posted up in the bike thread and got some great information and advice. I'll be in the market for a big boy bike in the next few months and I'll be venturing out into the world for some riding.
So - the moral of my little story here is - make a goal and share it with people. This helps with accountability and keeping you honest.
Happy trails (even if they don't go anywhere).

DarinM

Explorer
I've lost about 45% of my excess weight to this point.
The typical patient reaches this milestone about 1 year post-surgery. I'm about 4 1/2 months ahead of the curve.
My doctor is very pleased with my progress and the lack of complications I've had.
I'm doing really well with consistent exercise. I miss a day every once in awhile, but in general I'm getting a minimum of 30 minutes of very vigorous exercise bike riding a day - averaging 15-18 mph with varying degrees of resistance. And I'm soaking wet and worn out when I'm done.
As I've been doing this, I've seen that my legs are putting on some major muscle. I've always had really strong legs (after all they have been carrying around alot of weight for a long time). But this is something else. I've got biceps in my quads! Wow!!!
I lost a good deal of weight very quickly and the rate has slowed considerably. This was expected and I'm not concerned about it. I'm building muscle now - which weighs more, but also burns more calories even at rest than fat. As I continue to increase my level of activity and add in some weight training, my rate of caloric burn will also increase and I'll see continued weight loss.
March 2010 I weighed 520 pounds. Yesterday I weighed 365.
I'm about 100 pounds from the maximum I want to weigh. I will get there and we'll see what happens beyond that.
Happy weekend!

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Nice job Darin!

I'm glad to hear you are progressing with your goals and haven't suffered from any serious complications.

I think you'll find that once you get off of the stationary bike and out on the road / trail, you will have to work harder at it (you don't get to program in the difficulty level -- you get what nature gives you with regard to hills, etc), but you'll find it much more enjoyable (at least during nice weather), due to the constant scenery changes, plus it is easier to stay cool with fresh air moving over you.

Keep going!

:victory:

jimed43

Adventurer
I start, on Sunday, somewhere around 310, been avoiding the scale. I got married July of 2008, was 248, so I have gained all of my divorce weight back and then some... Time to get to work, so I can enjoy the outdoors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles