Tips on beadlock wheels please.

just eric

Adventurer
I have always liked the trail ready beadlocks. They have recessed bolts which I always find to be a benefit over the WE design (personal preference).

http://www.trailready.com/wheels_HD.html

They are a small company in WA and can more than likely custom fit something for you if the price is right. And the black powder coated wheels look bad @ss.

FotoValpen

Adventurer
When the renovation is complete there will be a double hydraulic connection on the back of the truck. One connection the the brakes and one for the engaging and disengaging of the trailer PT case.
pto05.jpg

pto12.jpg

pto13.jpg

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I'm not sure if there is anything special that needs to be done regarding installing the Stauns. One of the guys in our club runs them. I do remember hearing him complain about the install itself - PITA work but nothing technical.

FotoValpen

Adventurer
Thanks.
Since Sweden is a smaller market we don't have anyone here with beadlock wheels. At least none that have them in stock or advertise.

I see that some say "For Off-road Only". If my truck doesnät go faster than 65mph does this really matter? I am guessing it has to do with the possibility of a good balancing?

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Depends on what you are buying and from whom but most of the time they say for off-road use in order to skirt any potential legal liability issues.

Check your local laws as well. Some jurisdictions don't allow bead locks on public roads at all.

just eric

Adventurer
Thanks.
Since Sweden is a smaller market we don't have anyone here with beadlock wheels. At least none that have them in stock or advertise.

I see that some say "For Off-road Only". If my truck doesnät go faster than 65mph does this really matter? I am guessing it has to do with the possibility of a good balancing?

Many if not all of the "Trophy Trucks" run beadlocks so the legality has nothing to do with speed but instead with liability as Root Moose said. Beadlocks require much more attention than standard wheels such as maintaining and regularly checking that the bolts are torqued to the proper specs on etc. When properly maintained, beadlocks are as safe if not safer than standard wheels. One thing to consider is that many tire shops will not install wheels on beadlocks so tire installation becomes a do it yourself venture.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Gotchya. Thanks. I will look into this.

there is detailed info about backspacing on the link I already posted. You shuld be able to clearly understand backspacing after reading it....

http://www.mrt-wheels.com/catpages/offset01.html

and on bolt pattern

http://rockcrawler-mrt.com/boltpatternref.html

You can also buy a ring and weld it on your rim to make your own beadlock. Many companies sell rings and DIY beadlock kits.

PS...a buddy of mine put beadlocks on his 1968 GTO....he has 700hp and like to do wheelies! His tires were slipping on the rim so beadlocks can be used for more than rock crawling.

And thanks for the links to your PTO trailer build. Love it!!

Last edited:

jesusgatos

Explorer
You might want to look into having your stock wheels modified. I'd start by contacting OMF. I've used lots of different beadlocked wheels, and I like the product and customer service at OMF the best. I'm not sure whether they modify steel wheels though. If that's a no-go, try searching pirate4x4. But if you run steel bead-locks, get THICK ones. The flimsy steel dirt-track / sprint car wheels are crap. They don't hold the beads of larger off-road tires very well, and they tend to deflect / bulge / leak.

milo12

Adventurer
IMO Stauns are the way to go. They give double beadlock performance and also provide runflat safety. You literally can cut the sidewall wide open and still drive off the trail with Stauns.

Kilroy

Adventurer
IMO Stauns are the way to go. They give double beadlock performance and also provide runflat safety. You literally can cut the sidewall wide open and still drive off the trail with Stauns.

I really think Stauns are the way to go. I've got them on my Jeep and they're awesome. The only technical part of the install is a small hole in the wheel. The installation is a bit of the pain, but compared to the rest of your project not a big deal.

A big benefit I've found with the Stauns that I haven't seem talked about is how much more quickly you air up and down. The Staun is taking up quite a bit of room in the tire so you have a lot less volume to let out, pump up.

I've seen a similar product advertised that is made in the US. Haven't checked them out yet.

Internals would be my choice in the future also.

jesusgatos

Explorer
I agree (about the Stauns being great), but the OP said he wasn't interested in them. At least he was honest, and said the he likes the looks of beadlocks. I've listened to some pretty silly arguments and justifications from people that didn't want to just admit that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior