Doc's AT FlipPac Build Thread

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
101_1784.jpg

What is the purpose of divider for the fridge?

That has a few uses:
1. To protect the Engel from cargo loads
2. There will ultimately be a removable shelf in the middle so that the upper area of the shell can be used for light, bulky cargo like chairs and sleeping bags etc.
3. There will be some furniture built forward of the Engel on that side, possibly a removable chuck box, that will provide further storage and tie in with the main box up front that will house the National Luna Power Pack and other gear.
4. There will also be a slide out eating area (table) that will face the bench on the drivers side :chowtime:

Here is a better picture for illustration that shows that area a little further along in development:

101_1794.jpg

Lookin' good Doc!

Thanks KC!

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I decided to pad and carpet all horizontal surfaces like the bench and the floor area once the box is done (I tend to jump ahead in the planning process once I have something figured out).

The vertical surfaces will be painted or some sort of "liner" material like Rhino or Line-X etc.

I called Line-X to inquire... they said roughly $5 per square foot... so at roughly two 4x8 sheets of plywood coated on both sides (high estimate of square footage)... it easily could run over $300 depending :Wow1:

Researching other options now. :coffee:

Last edited:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Researching other options now. :coffee:

I've had real good success with Duplicolor Spray-On Liner over wood. I just use the rattlecan (about $9 a can), rough up the surface with 100 grit, lay down four coats or so and call it done. It holds up great, beads water like nobodys business, keeps the weight down and if you get a scratch just piont and shoot to touch it up. I've used it for my water tank frame and for my wooden tool boxes for the drawknives, slicks, and scribes I use for log cabin repairs. I've got no photos of the tool boxes but here's one of the tank frame made from cast off woodshop scrap...

101_3481a.jpg

WASURF63

Adventurer
Doc,

I used a couple coats of a similar Duplicolor product to seal up all the vertical wood sections when I built a bed storage / sleeping platform for our 3yo daughter.
It's held up to regular use pretty well so far. I'll use the same stuff for the interior build of my ATFP when I get it in the springtime.
Besides, you've got a canopy over the bed of your rig now. That alone will keep the wood protected from most of the elements.
(Save the $300. for a nice awning or something.)
Nice start to your interior build BTW.

WS

Attachments

• SP100_2699.JPG
    SP100_2699.JPG
    190.7 KB · Views: 731
  • SP100_2700.JPG
    SP100_2700.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 568
  • SP100_2710.JPG
    SP100_2710.JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 547
Last edited:

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Hello Dave,
Great looking Flip Pack. Looking forward to seeing it in person. I think you would be very happy with the Line-X. It makes a home built project look very professional. I would only do the front side and paint the inside with the Dulicolor. Total cost of the Line-X was $250 and I believe mine was a lot more work for the guys at Line-X.

DSC_5474.jpg

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Doc,
You may want to look into UPOL Raptor coating as a low cost alternative to Line-x etc. A simple 2 liter DIY kit is usually about $120 at an automotive paint store. It comes with a gun too. I have used it with good results. I wood recommend a good primer base on the wood first.
Mario

ExpoMike

Doc,
You may want to look into UPOL Raptor coating as a low cost alternative to Line-x etc. A simple 2 liter DIY kit is usually about $120 at an automotive paint store. It comes with a gun too. I have used it with good results. I wood recommend a good primer base on the wood first.
Mario

x2

I have used it on the bed floor on my '68 truck project. It was REALLY easy to apply and the nice thing is, the kit comes in 4 bottles and a can of hardner. Opt for the kit with the gun. You can mix up each bottle individually so you only use what you need and have minimal waste.

Oh, you do need a compressor. If you get everything worked out and want to do it, come on down to my place and we can use my compressor. Heck I even have the gun so a kit without it might be a little cheaper. Tri-city Paint in Miramar sell it.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Doc,
Mario

Thanks Mario! Looks to be good stuff and good reviews too.

x2

I have used it on the bed floor on my '68 truck project. It was REALLY easy to apply and the nice thing is, the kit comes in 4 bottles and a can of hardner. Opt for the kit with the gun. You can mix up each bottle individually so you only use what you need and have minimal waste.

Oh, you do need a compressor. If you get everything worked out and want to do it, come on down to my place and we can use my compressor. Heck I even have the gun so a kit without it might be a little cheaper. Tri-city Paint in Miramar sell it.

Thanks Mike, I may take you up on that offer :)

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Blue Sea Fuse Block with Negative Bus

Pictured below is the Blue Sea 6 circuit fuse block with negative bus mounted with a Scosche 100 amp fuse block in line from the National Luna Power Pack.

LED camper lights and any future electrical additions now have a safe source of power :wings:

The Engel will be plugged into the 12v outlet on front of the power pack.

101_1800.jpg

101_1812.jpg

Here are the the LED camper lights, they have a 3 way switch - off, white, and red. Each housing also features two 12v sockets.
The switch for the rearmost light is reachable from the rear hatch and the front light switch can be reached from bed.

They are VERY bright at night and the red light option is very cool!

101_1813.jpg

101_1814.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Shell Mounting

I have had several PM's and questions about the way the shell attaches to the truck.

Plastic bed caps are removed for a tighter, more even seal and 4 layers of automotive grade bulb seal are laid along each bed rail between the sheetmetal and the shell. Two layers of bulb seal are used in the front with silicone sealant in all the little places water might try to creep in ;)

Six bolts, three on each side drilled through the sides of the shell and straight through the rail system.

101_1801.jpg

101_1803.jpg

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Very nice!!! Really start loving these FlipPac. Now if they just would be available for the JK Unlimited, but that's a different thread ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles