Doc's AT FlipPac Build Thread

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
The Goose Gear Version 2.0 mounting looks like this - 6 bolts total holding it to the bed and the modules attach to this via nutserts in the deck. Obviously, my setup is complicated by the heater (see intake and exhaust for the Propex Heatsource 200 from Adventure Trailers on the right) but taking out modules or the entire tray is simple.

Goose Gear mounting.jpg

Last edited:

Arclight

SAR guy
Is that a single sheet of material? Did you cut it a little bit undersize on the edges to be able to pull it out?

The T100 may be a bit different, but I had to join multiple pieces to make this work.

Arclight

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
It's two pieces fore and aft- the forward section is the foundation for the forward module (pictured) but in this case it could be one piece if we wanted but due to the heater and my battery pack that you can not see in the right corner we went with a two piece design.

Camelfilter

Explorer
I am still thinking of your Flip Pac. Wow that is nice. I think the nicest I have seen. It really makes a great case for getting one of those vs. a popup camper, etc... However... their kit would be awesome in an FWC shell.

Yeah, Dave's setup sure is pretty danged nice!

How many have you seen in person? I've seen 3, and 1 was a duplicate.

Give me a holler if you really decide you might like to get a Flippac (as opposed to ya-that'd sure be nice if one appeared by magic in my yard), if you would like to see one in person. It'd give you a real idea of the space you'd have to work with etc.

How you would deck it out would depend on what would work for you & yours.

I'm over in Dedham.

Edit, adding: cost- I bought mine used in April, and my use of it (as compared to staying at a reasonably priced hotel) since then has almost paid for it.

Drive back from buying it, 4 events & dirt roads acrossed Maine2 = 25 nights in it + 6 random weekend trip nights. Mind that without my FP I likely wouldn't have done the events, nor DRAM2...so the "fun quotient" is immeasurable IMO...

Last edited:

casejeep

Observer
Dave,

Took the family out this weekend and froze our butts off at night. Do you have a way that you have insulated the bed area? Inside was cold but the heat was going out though the mattress.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Casejeep, I am not Dave, but what I have done down to teens. A moving blanket from HF under the sleeping bags. I just added a memory foam pad from Walmart under the sleet that I like too. I added some foam pads on the sides when really cold to keep me from rolling into the cold tent ; )
Without a hardside camper and furnace, winter camping is cold, that is part of the fun for me but the family is less than thrilled most of the time.

casejeep

Observer
Jay,

I have a 2" foam mattress plus a cheap little foam mattress topper. I thought that would be enough but I was very wrong. My 3 year old was not happy. I was thinking of putting some thermorest type camping mattresses ontop of the mattress but under the foam topper.

Thoughts?

Arclight

SAR guy
Jay,

I have a 2" foam mattress plus a cheap little foam mattress topper. I thought that would be enough but I was very wrong. My 3 year old was not happy. I was thinking of putting some thermorest type camping mattresses ontop of the mattress but under the foam topper.

Thoughts?

I've had mine in the cold. What type of sleeping bags are you currently using?

Arclight

Clutch

<---Pass
That would be epic! More info and pics are being added to their site as production ramps up, check it out:
http://www.goose-gear.com/storage-solutions.html

View attachment 252246

Looks like they are using Quick Frame 80/20, yeah?

QF_Shelf_2.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
Jay,

Thoughts?

I used reflective bubble insulation under the mattress in my Wildernest, plus a waxed canvas tarp on the outside...small electric heater, kept it toasty in sub freezing temps.

f87297c9-4b14-459d-b99a-824dc046932c_ABA03.jpg

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Dave,

Took the family out this weekend and froze our butts off at night. Do you have a way that you have insulated the bed area? Inside was cold but the heat was going out though the mattress.

It's all about insulation, we added a 1 or 1.5 inch (can't remember) memory foam topper to ours. Add an overkill sleeping bag (ours is a rectangular bag from Teton Sports rated at -25 degrees) and you will be good to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior