Doc's AT FlipPac Build Thread

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
While we were leaving Overland Expo, Trump sabotaged the FlipPac by snapping off one of the supports hoping I'd tap out on our Utah trip. Luckily, Tango had some JB weld and we were able to keep going despite Trumps best efforts at derailing the trip..

You can see here where Trump broke it on purpose, not the alignment of the OEM plastic bit and Tango's generous contribution of JB weld that foiled Trump's nefarious scheme.
FP rod1.jpg

Here is the far end of the same rod, aluminum tube is 25 inches long, note alignment/rotation of the plastic end and rivet location. This will be addressed later during this mod.
FP rod 2.jpg

On a serious note, the shell has been on the truck since 2009 so no doubt there is some UV degradation of these OEM plastic bits. Luckily, the guys at BirdDawgIndustries are brewing up a serious upgrade to replace all the plastic bits with METAL... stay tuned!

PNW/TRD Steve

I do like those FlipPacs! I brainstormed some ideas on how to mount kayaks above it, but everything I came up with was bulky and complicated.
On a side note, I ended up with your Demello bed rack. Doing a few mods and it should work fine for my use.
Cheers!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Wife broke one of mine off two winters ago. Replaced mine with these. Now I keep the hold-down bars in the truck.

103305_1_zoom.jpg

Retailer source.

brian90744

American Trekker
F/P support arm repair parts

I broke the end of my F/P bed support arm, went to (West Marine boat supplies) and found these. see pic, they are available in metal also.
FYI brian

Attachments

• support arm2.jpg
    support arm2.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 67
  • support arm1.jpg
    support arm1.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 66

Camelfilter

Explorer
Nice find! Caution though, if it's the flippac side - you want plastic. It'll break (hopefully) before ripping the fiberglass. Ie in case of low roof or branch snag. --I'd imagine it wouldn't matter if you had those new aluminum anti-snag ramps though.

I think I have pictures up here of how I copied other folks. Seems to be working great so far...

I removed mine altogether in preparation for deleting the torsion bar. Now I might re-purpose those screw holes for some way to hold down my solar panel while driving. I'm thinking some kind of heavy duty spring clips or some such combined with that 3m Velcro knock-off (has hard plastic mini mushrooms on both stick on sides).

brian90744

American Trekker
Roof hold-down clips

I'm thinking some kind of heavy duty spring clips , Have you thought of fishing Super long lasting Urethane rod holders that are used on boats, I use them for flash holder see pics

Attachments

• flash lite3 .jpg
    flash lite3 .jpg
    494.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Just when you think you're all done, things happen. Sometimes GOOD things.

Right now, the FlipPac interior that I built by hand circa 2009/2010 that was featured in the Summer 2010 issue of Overland Journal has been ripped out. Deleted.

A new player is emerging on the scene and has some AMAZING ideas and materials. The super strong but lightweight interior that they have designed, the options, and the modularity that they they will be offering FlipPac, SUV, Sportsmobile and other overland camper builders is blowing my mind.

It's going to blow yours too when it debuts at the 2014 SoCal Mountain Rendezvous. Pics here soon.

Camelfilter

Explorer
Just when you think you're all done, things happen. Sometimes GOOD things.

Right now, the FlipPac interior that I built by hand circa 2009/2010 that was featured in the Summer 2010 issue of Overland Journal has been ripped out. Deleted.

A new player is emerging on the scene and has some AMAZING ideas and materials. The super strong but lightweight interior that they have designed, the options, and the modularity that they they will be offering FlipPac, SUV, Sportsmobile and other overland camper builders is blowing my mind.

It's going to blow yours too when it debuts at the 2014 SoCal Mountain Rendezvous. Pics here soon.

:lurk:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne