Doc's AT FlipPac Build Thread

Camelfilter

Explorer
Yup! that looks like the ticket!!!

Your likely still going to lose heat thru the mattress, especially foam. It'll compress giving less insulation.

Like others mention, double up the mattress, use Reflectix or closed cell foam.

In my FP I lined the entire bed area with closed cell foam (the kind you get at Harbor Freight to walk on in your garage/shop), then I use a dreamtime mattress.

I was plenty warm up in Maine last month subzero temps. I do normally sleep with a vapor barrier & wool hat plus use a 2nd bag as a topper only as conditions warrant.

DVexile

Adventurer
Just WOW.

Thanks for the incredible effort in maintaining this long build page and sharing all your excellent ideas. I'm planning on a FlipPac on a Tacoma DCSB sometime in 2015 and to find something this detailed in the exact form factor I'm thinking of is some miracle of the Internet! Well, no apparently the miracle is just named "Dave".

That GooseGear stuff looks amazing. While pricey, compared to my time trying to do something 10% as good it seems worth it. I'm not remotely as handy as Dave clearly is so I sense the wallet prying open even more - but GooseGear should mean I spend more time camping rather than building when the time comes!

Thanks especially for the thoughtful discussion on side windows. I'd seen a FP with a windoor and liked the concept of easy side access. But seeing this build out it seems clear proper packing and planning would be the better approach and maybe solid sides is the thing to do. Plus I'm presently used to a 1992 RCLB (80" bed length) and a DCSB at 60" is not going to have so much "deep" hard to access bed area anyway.

So much to think about now...

Thanks again, and keep the updates on the GooseGear coming. Love to hear how it is working out. It looks amazing from first photos.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Just WOW.

Thanks for the incredible effort in maintaining this long build page and sharing all your excellent ideas. I'm planning on a FlipPac on a Tacoma DCSB sometime in 2015 and to find something this detailed in the exact form factor I'm thinking of is some miracle of the Internet! Well, no apparently the miracle is just named "Dave".

That GooseGear stuff looks amazing. While pricey, compared to my time trying to do something 10% as good it seems worth it. I'm not remotely as handy as Dave clearly is so I sense the wallet prying open even more - but GooseGear should mean I spend more time camping rather than building when the time comes!

Thanks especially for the thoughtful discussion on side windows. I'd seen a FP with a windoor and liked the concept of easy side access. But seeing this build out it seems clear proper packing and planning would be the better approach and maybe solid sides is the thing to do. Plus I'm presently used to a 1992 RCLB (80" bed length) and a DCSB at 60" is not going to have so much "deep" hard to access bed area anyway.

So much to think about now...

Thanks again, and keep the updates on the GooseGear coming. Love to hear how it is working out. It looks amazing from first photos.

Thank you! Stay tuned - we're not done yet!

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Keeping us warm in winter camping is a two pronged approach - killer sleeping bags from Teton Sports and the Propex Heatsource HS-2000 from Adventure Trailers make winter camping a pleasure.

2.jpg

Updated home and install for the Propex from Goose Gear has things safe and maintenance friendly!

h1.jpg

h2.jpg

A bit of optional ducting to vent the heat up higher in the tent can be nice!

h3.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Some more refinements to the Goose Gear interior - removable padded surfaces throughout and a center cargo deck that doubles as a table make this +/- 25 square feet of space family friendly

g1.jpg

All aluminum table fixtures ensure durability and light weight.

g4.jpg

g3.jpg

g5.jpg

Long trips are easier to load up for with cargo storage for provisions in the form of Front Runner Outfitters Flat Pack storage boxes.

g2.jpg

Last edited:

Clymber

Adventurer
I really wish you lived in CO so I can meet up with you to look at your setup. I am planning on getting a FlipPac but the wife is 100% set on the idea. Any chance you will be at Overland Expo in AZ in May.

Overlanerd

Vagabond Outdoors
That is such a clean setup! Such a great use of the limited short bed space. Setup/ breakdown time probably decreased significantly as well.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I really wish you lived in CO so I can meet up with you to look at your setup. I am planning on getting a FlipPac but the wife is 100% set on the idea. Any chance you will be at Overland Expo in AZ in May.

Yes we will be at OX West in May and OX East in October, we are the official forum sponsors for the event.

Last edited:

Doc Foster

Adventurer
I have been following your thread almost since the beginning. It just keeps getting better and better. Awesome rig and setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94