Doc's AT FlipPac Build Thread

Keyne

Adventurer
I think it would be cool to have an Expo Hall of Fame for certain build categories (popup, sprinter, land cruiser, land rover, etc). I think this build would win the Flippack category for sure and is a great example of how to setup one. Really great build.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I think it would be cool to have an Expo Hall of Fame for certain build categories (popup, sprinter, land cruiser, land rover, etc). I think this build would win the Flippack category for sure and is a great example of how to setup one. Really great build.

Haha, thanks!

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Some pretty good snow action recently, check out the Demello Offroad rear bumper. The bumper has really helped the overall organization of the camper by keeping bulky stuff outside.

10940486_845856988819059_744135886912132120_n.jpg

Here's a better pic of the Anti-Dark LED strip and Goose Gear interior at night and you can see how integral the use of the rear bumper/table is when camped.

10947286_851814388223319_3847544720043034629_n.jpg

Last edited:

DVexile

Adventurer
Love the LED strip on the shell hatch. Great way to light up the work area.

Can you give some details on the red/white LED strip you are using? I've tried searching for it twice now with absolutely no luck finding a match.

Thanks for continuing to share your excellent build!

Keyne

Adventurer
Dave now that you have had the goose setup for a while how do you like it? Any thoughts on what you might do differently if you did it again? Also with your kichten setup can you cook inside?

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Love the LED strip on the shell hatch. Great way to light up the work area.

Can you give some details on the red/white LED strip you are using? I've tried searching for it twice now with absolutely no luck finding a match.

Thanks for continuing to share your excellent build!

LED strips/lighting is a DEEP rabbit hole. The real key is to get the right length RGBW (red,green,blue,white) type LED strip with the WHITE light in the right Kelvin (temperature) some like a more bluish light while others (me) like a softer, more natural light. I've since changed my LED strip to a more mellow white light and am much happier.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/

led-color-temperature.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Dave now that you have had the goose setup for a while how do you like it? Any thoughts on what you might do differently if you did it again? Also with your kichten setup can you cook inside?

I may be biased, but I LOVE this new Goose Gear interior. I find myself actually packing less crap now since I can leave EVERYTHING in there full time minus groceries. Before a trip, we used to throw stuff in the truck in a "might need this" fashion but as we have evolved the rig (and our style of travel) we've learned less really is more so post-trip we delete anything not used and very rarely find any real "needs" out there other than more or different groceries.

It's MUCH faster to go on a trip now, just add groceries/water/fuel/firewood and GO. The TrekPak is a HUGE advantage offroad, everything stays in place with no rattles or damage going on. As for what I would do different, I would opt for the silver/bare aluminum extrusion of the more expensive black anodized - it will scratch from use/cargo and the bare metal variety will be more durable finish wise IMO. But the black looks really nice.

IMG_3685.jpg

Last edited:

tacozord

Adventurer
Hey Dave,

I've read all of this thread as well as your truck build thread. Very impressed. I hope you don't mind if i borrow a few ideas while i build out my truck.

Anyway, I'm in the Los Angeles area. It'd be great to meet up one day so I could check out your rig. Maybe I could join you on a Joshua Tree or Anza Borrego trip?

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Hey Dave,

I've read all of this thread as well as your truck build thread. Very impressed. I hope you don't mind if i borrow a few ideas while i build out my truck.

Anyway, I'm in the Los Angeles area. It'd be great to meet up one day so I could check out your rig. Maybe I could join you on a Joshua Tree or Anza Borrego trip?

Absolutely, we do trips all the time here in SoCal and beyond!

Keyne

Adventurer

mervo

Observer
Hey Dave,

Long term lurker on your thread. By far my favorite build on E.P., and I hope to mimic your build on a Tundra one day, so thank you for the inspiration.

One question, with all of the talk about flippac and the crappy torsion bar, would you recommend people get in line for a backup bar, or use another platform like wildernester (if you can find one), or a different system all together.

Also, thanks for all your info over at AA.

-Mervo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne