Doc's AT FlipPac Build Thread

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
WA Overland Rally 2011

Got the truck all loaded and ready to roll up to the WA Overland Rally.

I'll be living in the FlipPac for 10 days on this trip, first stop on the way up will be at Castle Crags SP in NorCal :sombrero:

I'll bring the camera, stay tuned!

Oni

Adventurer
Tacodoc

Pretty sure I saw you on the 210 freeway near the Rose Bowl in Pasadena 1AUG.

Great looking truck!!!

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Washington Overland Rally 2011

Camped at Lake Sylvia in Western WA on my way to the Rally
IMG_0143.jpg

Detail of the rain fly, mounted just in case :)
IMG_0145.jpg

My well known signature dish ;)
IMG_0147.jpg

I arrived at the 4W Ranch near Ellensburg, WA on Tuesday night and saved a nice spot for the crew from Northwest Overland Society (NWOS) who were out doing the Washington Back Country Discovery Route (WABDR). This pic was taken Wednesday morning after their arrival in camp, note CoastalDefender's 8,000 lb antichrist black Nissan
IMG_0203-1.jpg

All the comforts of home. The new hot water shower room was the source of many new friends in camp and assured me of a steady supply of free cold beer
IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
FlipPac Load Management

All the comforts of home. I get asked how do I possibly pack so many amenities and so much gear into a 5 foot bed?
It's all about organization!
IMG_0229.jpg

Gear bombs in camp or in the back of the truck annoy me! Here are some pics of how I manage my gear. All the campsite gear pictured above at the Rally packs up in minutes and fits neatly into the FlipPac, everything must have it's place and remain undamaged or it can add unwanted stress to any trip.

The med bag, Engel, wag bag toilet and ARB Bushranger X-Jack and many other things like the rain fly, tools, fuel cells, MRE's, bedding and the shower enclosure are stored in the truck full time so they are never forgotten (all are stowed inside the built in boxes/module pictured) .

When breaking camp the first things loaded up are the kitchen in Action Packers. I can stack up to SIX of the smaller Action Packers along that front row but my typical load is the three pictured here (one is hiding under the pillows on the right) - one for COFFEE, one for kitchen (pan/plates/Snow Peak Baja Li stove, etc etc), and one for the Snow Peak single BBQ box and accessories. Then I add the Zodi Extreme shower, old school sleeping bag, two full size pillows and sun shade.
IMG_0112.jpg

The lower gear area was designed to hold two of the large Action Packers under the gear deck. I typically only need one of these for dry goods etc but can add a second for longer trips or more of the small ones up above. I like them because they are LIGHT, ubiquitous and inexpensive.
IMG_0113.jpg

Now the gear deck has been slid into the channels to provide a second layer of storage which I use for camp chairs, firewood, supplies or even MORE gear. This also allows for a nice spot to transport my complete Snow Peak Iron Grill Table (IGT) pictured on the left by the chairs. I like this configuration as it keeps my water jugs down low and accessible and makes a nice "trunk" to throw dirty boots etc into if needed on the fly. All the assorted gear pictured in the camp pics posted above from the WA Rally fits in with room to spare, I lived 10 days in the truck with this arrangement and my only limitation was fuel and water, one grocery run at the beginning of the trip was plenty. This was a great shakedown run for future long range unsupported trips into wild...
IMG_0116.jpg

I have yet to run out of space with the FlipPac even with the family "adding" the usual last minute blankets, bags, balls, stuffed animals etc that usually happens when the Loadmaster (me) isn't looking... :D

Last edited:

JamesDowning

Explorer
Nice to see the packing methodology. I've been trying to figure out exactly how I'm going to pack up my truck. It seems a horizontal divider (your table) really helps keep things organized.

I'm amazed how small your sun shade packs away.

Out of curiosity, how long does it take to set up and pack up camp as you have pictured?

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Out of curiosity, how long does it take to set up and pack up camp as you have pictured?

It takes about 15-20 minutes to go from full set up to packed up and ready to drive away. I usually take about 30 minutes since I like to clean things - I'm very particular about caring for my gear ;)

Flingshot

Very inspiring thread. Can't wait to get a little farther on mine.
I too will be using Action Packers rather than drawers. First of all, I already have them,
second they are light and inexpensive.
Great build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior