Doc's AT FlipPac Build Thread

austintaco

Explorer
Doc,

Great truck and thanks for the continued updates on its progress! I am in the market for an AT Flippac for a new Ford Superduty truck. I am debating on whether or not to get side windows or leave them solid like yours. I like the solid idea for looks and security, but the windows would add a level of ventilation I guess. Do you have any problems with a lack on ventilation in your Flippac? Just looking for some general ideas to help in my decision. My flippac will be black in color and I am thinking on going with the solid route over the windows.

Thanks and again, sweet Taco!

Kevin

The debate over windows really comes down to what you plan to do most with your truck. I had my flippac refurbished with a windoor on the passenger side. I would have had two windoors, but I wanted the slider with a screen on it for my dogs. They usually ride with us in the back seat platform, but if we leave them in camp, we have them in the back of the truck with the slider open, fan going, windoor cracked open(holding it from going all the way up with bungees). The windoor and awning on the passenger dictate that we have to set up with the "party side" facing the right direction. I also like driving with the sliding window open to air out the back, especially if you had to put the tent away and it was damp.

On the other hand, if security, gear storage, and safety (glass breaking) are your main concerns, then go without the windows. That's the beauty of the Flippac. You can make it what you want. sorry for the hijack, but I debated windows on my previous camper and the flippac so I thought I would share.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
The biggest reasons I chose no windows was to reduce potential leaks/dust ingress and reduce points of failure. I also appreciate the added privacy and security. Also, IMO, the shell is stronger (more rigid) the less holes it has cut into it. Were I to order a new one today, I would even delete the front window at the shell/cab interface. I can't see shyte out of it anyway so I leave a curtain on it 24/7.

YMMV.

sytfu510

Urban UAV
One of the best Tacoma builds by far, really makes me want a Flippac. Just way out of my price range and used ones rarely turn up.

WOODY2

Adventurer
cable routing

Hi Dave how did you route the cables up to the truck battery after it goes thru the bed? I was thinking of crossing over to passenger side while in engine compartment then straight back? Would use heat shield as passing Cat.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Hi Dave how did you route the cables up to the truck battery after it goes thru the bed? I was thinking of crossing over to passenger side while in engine compartment then straight back? Would use heat shield as passing Cat.

Passenger side frame rail up to the engine compartment, cables go all the way up to the headlight area and cross over to the battery under the plastic cover on top of the core support/radiator area.

dman93

Adventurer
Any likelihood of replacement torsion bars and associated hinge parts???? I still haven't ordered my replacement ...

-dman93

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz