Doc's AT FlipPac Build Thread

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Meanwhile, one of the weak links in the OEM design of the FlipPac has been dealt with el permanente. Short of det cord, these new prop rods and hardware from Bird Dawg Industries are sure to foil any future failures.

Mongo will not break these...

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Toilet Upgrade

Researching RV toilets for an upgrade, the Thetford 135 is a solid choice for a compact unit, but the newer 550P holds more and features a piston driven flush vice the older bellows style. I think we're going to upgrade to the 550P for this new build.

4 gallons of fresh water, 5.5 gallon holding tank. Pour out spout can be used to drain anywhere. Super simple, reliable, and perfect for a family on the go. $137.10 with free shipping via Amazon as of 8/31/14

This durable large capacity Porta Potti allows maximum uses before emptying the 5.5 gallon holding tank. The high gloss finished 550P features a piston pump for positive water pressure flush rinsing of bowl. Exclusive no-splash pour spout (model 92853 only) keeps the process of emptying to household sewer systems clean.

Built in deodorant storage with sealed valve to keep odors inside the holding tank keeps smell to a minimum when compared to traditional holding tanks systems. Easy to read level gauge let's you know when nearing full capacity. The 550P features a removable lid and seat for easy cleaning.

THE-92856 - includes hold down kit. THE-92853 - does not include hold down kit (THE-92922).

DIMENSIONS:
High Profile
A 16-1/2" : 41.9 cm
B 16-1/2" : 41.9 cm
C 15" : 38.1 cm

CAPACITIES:
Fresh Water: 4.0 gal: 15L
Waste Tank: 5.5 gal: 21L
Average Flushes: 56

thetford 550p.jpg

dimensions_550p.jpg

http://www.thetford.com/tabid/883/Default.aspx

Shows a different model, but the way these work is pretty much the same throughout the product line.

dman93

Adventurer
Meanwhile, one of the weak links in the OEM design of the FlipPac has been dealt with el permanente.

Do they still use standard hood pins, or is there something beefier there? I replaced my prop rod hardware with stainless steel marine parts but the pin attachment - to the fender on my truck - seems weak.

-dman93

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
How are your hood pins attached? FRP aka FlipPac uses basic screws into the fender. Adventure Trailers uses Rivnuts (which is what I have) and they are much better IMO.

One thing to remember too is that the prop rods don't really support much weight at all when the tent is deployed - maybe 10% of the weight. The rest of the weight (90%) is transferred to the torsion bar and the shell. The biggest functions of the prop rods are to keep the wind from flipping it shut when you're not in bed, and stabilizing the load on those outer corners (the 10%).

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Researching RV toilets for an upgrade, the Thetford 135 is a solid choice for a compact unit, but the newer 550P holds more and features a piston driven flush vice the older bellows style. I think we're going to upgrade to the 550P for this new build.

That's probably a great call. I love my Thetford 135 for compactness, but that holding tank is TOO SMALL. We're always judicious with the flushing (usually get home with 3/4-tank of clean water), but there have been many weekend trips where two adults and one toddler have basically filled the black tank. I keep thinking about upgrading, but I'm not sure I can shoehorn any of the larger-tank models into the same width space where I'm currently using the 135...

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
That's probably a great call. I love my Thetford 135 for compactness, but that holding tank is TOO SMALL. We're always judicious with the flushing (usually get home with 3/4-tank of clean water), but there have been many weekend trips where two adults and one toddler have basically filled the black tank. I keep thinking about upgrading, but I'm not sure I can shoehorn any of the larger-tank models into the same width space where I'm currently using the 135...

IIRC, the Thetford 135 and the new 550P are nearly the same footprint (within 1 inch), the 550 is quite a bit taller due to the larger holding tank but that also puts the seat at about standard height for a regular home toilet which is a good thing IMO.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
IIRC, the Thetford 135 and the new 550P are nearly the same footprint (within 1 inch), the 550 is quite a bit taller due to the larger holding tank but that also puts the seat at about standard height for a regular home toilet which is a good thing IMO.

The 135 is about an inch and a half narrower (which is where it matters for me). I solved the height issue using a short pedestal base that doubles as a cover that I can use to strap the potti down inside the van during travel.

dman93

Adventurer
How are your hood pins attached? FRP aka FlipPac uses basic screws into the fender. AT uses Rivnuts (which is what I have) and they are much better IMO.
My T100 has a very thin gap between hood and fender and the mounting surface on the inner fender is angled in such a way that the load is also at an angle. Rivnuts and machine screws vs self-tapping sheet metal screws might help a little but not much. My pins flex visibly.

One thing to remember too is that the prop rods don't really support much weight at all when the tent is deployed - maybe 10% of the weight. The rest of the weight (90%) is transferred to the torsion bar and the shell. The biggest functions of the prop rods are to keep the wind from flipping it shut when you're not in bed, and stabilizing the load on those outer corners (the 10%).

My torsion bar didn't support anything. That's why it's gone :)

-dman93

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Just when you think you're all done, things happen. Sometimes GOOD things.

Right now, the FlipPac interior that I built by hand circa 2009/2010 that was featured in the Summer 2010 issue of Overland Journal has been ripped out. Deleted.

A new player is emerging on the scene and has some AMAZING ideas and materials. The super strong but lightweight interior that they have designed, the options, and the modularity that they they will be offering FlipPac, SUV, Sportsmobile and other overland camper builders is blowing my mind.

It's going to blow yours too when it debuts at the 2014 SoCal Mountain Rendezvous. Pics here soon.

Modular interiors for overland camper vehicles, that are lightweight and strong, sounds nice (and expensive!). Will be fun to see what you are working on Doc.

When is the SC.M.R.?

Raul B

Explorer
Just when you think you're all done, things happen. Sometimes GOOD things.

Right now, the FlipPac interior that I built by hand circa 2009/2010 that was featured in the Summer 2010 issue of Overland Journal has been ripped out. Deleted.

A new player is emerging on the scene and has some AMAZING ideas and materials. The super strong but lightweight interior that they have designed, the options, and the modularity that they they will be offering FlipPac, SUV, Sportsmobile and other overland camper builders is blowing my mind.

It's going to blow yours too when it debuts at the 2014 SoCal Mountain Rendezvous. Pics here soon.

Hm. I'm looking to get rid of my decked system for something better. I can't wait to see what you will have at MRV

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Special Announcement

A secret project is underway at a hidden skunkworks in Orange County CA that will be unveiled at the 2014 SoCal Mountain Rendezvous.

Revolutionary modular storage solutions that meet and exceed Euro-Spec "caravan" equipment are being developed for camper shells, vans, SUV's, FlipPacs, trailers and custom applications. Designed from the ground up for adventure travel in the harshest overland environments, these storage solutions feature über lightweight materials in the form of aluminum, composite and top shelf laminates. Stainless steel HD slides and premium hinges and latches set this product line apart from anything else currently on the market in North America. If wood is desired, Joubert Okoume plywood is used. Marine grade, certified by Lloyds of London for yacht building. Insanely lightweight. A sheet of 1/2" Joubert weighs less then a sheet of 1/4" regular plywood.

Made in California, minimum weight and maximum use of available cubic inches for properly organized storage is the goal of Goose Gear and Goose Off Road.

goose logo.png

Goose Gear

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
The new prop rods and hardware arrived from Bird Dawg Industries - very impressed with these as I doubt we'll have to replace them ever again. The new branch deflectors are a nice addition as well since I no longer have to worry about them getting snagged on anything. No more worries about UV degradation on cheap plastic bits! Contact them for details!

COMPARO.jpg

BRANCH DEFLECTOR DETAIL.jpg

INSTALL 1.jpg

HOOD PIN INTERFACE 1.jpg

HOOD PIN INTERFACE 2.jpg

DEPLOYED.jpg

Last edited:

WOODY2

Adventurer
Great fix only one concern; possibility of metal to paint interference if Heim was slid to far onto hood pin? Easily fixed with some plastic dip or a couple of layers of electrical tape over outside circumference? Or in your estimation ( since you have layer eyes and hands on) is this not an issue?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94