Doc's AT FlipPac Build Thread

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
This thread will summarize the interior build of the AT FlipPac here in the pop-up camper section so it can be found without scrolling through 2,000+ posts in my truck build thread looking for the FlipPac stuff ;)

the fifth element.jpg
Feature Vehicle, Overland Journal summer 2010 issue. Photo by Chris Marzonie.

The 10 FlipPac Freedoms

* FREEDOM to ignore holiday hotel worries - and bills
* FREEDOM to live comfortably and easily in the open air
* FREEDOM to decide and then go - straight away - for a day, a week, or a month+
* FREEDOM to drive without tiresome towing or technical trail restrictions
* FREEDOM to tour - from the Tetons to Timbuktu - and take your home with you
* FREEDOM to take advantage of those spare moments - those crisp, clear winter days - when owners of other trucks stay at home
* FREEDOM to eat what you like, when you like and cooked how you like it
* FREEDOM to sleep - comfortable and secure up high - at the end of an exciting day
* FREEDOM to enjoy outdoor interests - fishing, shooting, climbing, walking, picnicking - or just exploring that old road to see where it goes!

ABOVE ALL
* FREEDOM to relax, in your mobile home, away from the everyday routine and stress of modern life.

Modified from the original 10 Dormobile Freedoms by MARTIN WALTER LTD.

_MG_2238.jpg

Joshua Tree NP, rarely seen snow-capped Idyllwild in the background, photo by Chris Marzonie
_MG_1897-3.jpg

_MG_2122.jpg

_MG_2078.jpg

100_1721.jpg

100_1727.jpg

Entrance and the robust aluminum step up I sourced for this application.
100_1715-1.jpg

Blank slate. Note the National Luna Power Pack placement for now.
100_1711.jpg

Shell to cab pass through. Locks all face inward to the cab so this can be unlocked from one side rather than running back and forth.
100_1713.jpg

Upper deck, all poles/hammock stowed in this shot. There is room enough here to sit and put on or take off shoes.
100_1708.jpg

Full size bed. Mattress seems to be far better/thicker than my Eezi-Awn was.
100_1706.jpg

Truck Build Thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=521

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Interior Build Continued...

This is proving to be a very challenging project due to the space provided. Good thing I enjoy a challenge ;)

Here are some step by step photos detailing the evolution of the interior to date. Each and every piece is being hand fitted one at a time to ensure that everything works well together.

The end result will be a fairly lightweight, removable camper module that will be bolted to the bed floor for safety. It can be taken out when I need to use the truck as a truck out by removing a few fasteners.

Careful fitment of the Engel base, when installed the power outlet is still usable as well as the side storage box.
101_1770.jpg

I chose Action Packers as my removable storage for supplies as they are very lightweight.
101_1776.jpg

Here is the load I was trying to build everything around.
Two Action Packers can be fitted in the floor space. Water can be carried in the side box.
101_1773.jpg

The foundation of it all - 1/2 inch Birch plywood and 2x3 studs.
101_1781.jpg

Boxes going together.
101_1782.jpg

Nearly completed sides.
101_1784.jpg

You can see here how the power outlet and side box are unobstructed.
101_1786.jpg

5 gallon Scepter can in the side box to show size/volume available. Side box is reachable behind the jug.
101_1788.jpg

Tie downs are still usable, and there is plenty of room to use the all important opener!
101_1789.jpg

To be continued...

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Interior Build Continued...

More progress today!

Left side storage box is complete and allows access to the bed side storage bins, I also saved some weight by making it "3 sided".

This box also serves as a bench on that side.
101_1794.jpg

The picture below shows how the module slid out onto the tailgate. It is designed to slide out when I need to use the truck to haul things.

It is light enough to be easily taken out by one person, and will ultimately be secured to the bed via bolts (they would need to be removed to take this module out).
101_1797.jpg

Last edited:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Great idea...

x2. Now all the FlipPac goodness can be in one spot where I can show my wife how cool one would be for us.

What's your plan for covering your module? Carpet, bedliner or paint/stain? Or a combo?

Willman

Doc,

Love it!

I'm thing that Justin aka "Gear" had a great idea of Line-X the wood for a final look. I have also heard that you can powder coat wood as well! Might be another option to add to your bag of tricks!

Another thing to remember during your build.....If it is raining all night and day....Are you going to have enough room to wait out the storm?

Keep up the great work!

:drool:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Doc,
I have also heard that you can powder coat wood as well! Might be another option to add to your bag of tricks!

:drool:

really? I would like to see that. It would seem to me that powder coating wood would not be a go. Any flexing in the wood and it would crack the powder coating. Also since the wood is soft wouldn't dings and things like that in the wood make the powder coat crack and chip? Also I wonder how the wood will take to the heat of the powder coating application?

TacoDoc...I love the build! I asked in your other build thread about mounting the plywood to the bed, I see you mention it here as being bolted to the bed. But what I am curious about is if you drill holes in the bed how do you plan to keep them from leaking? Water coming up through the holes could make a mess of your nice build!

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
TacoDoc...I love the build! I asked in your other build thread about mounting the plywood to the bed, I see you mention it here as being bolted to the bed. But what I am curious about is if you drill holes in the bed how do you plan to keep them from leaking? Water coming up through the holes could make a mess of your nice build!

Thanks. Water is no concern as I will seal the bolt/bed interface with black RTV silicone.

sami

Explorer
I consulted the Oracle, and it looks like wood can indeed be powder-coated.

http://www.precisecompanies.com/powdercoat.htm

Why Wood Powder Coat?

Design flexibility curvilinear shapes are no problem with powder coated MDF

Durable seamless product which serves the medical and food industry as there are no cracks or crevices for blood born pathogens to hide

Soft edges provide safty from traditional sharp edge furniture

Powder coat is a GREEN PRODUCT, there are no harmful chemical HAP's VOC's to hurt our environment

I'm diggin the truck! I'll be watching to see how your living space turns out. Very cool!

Last edited:

abeaudin1971

Adventurer
Hey Tacodoc,

I like the build - I have a taco as well but an access cab with the flippac too.. and the platform build is a unique one - I like it.. mine is improvised to say the least so I see room for improvement.

Question for you though..

where did you source the step?

-a

suntinez

Explorer
Doc, looks nice! Quite a bit more challenging to fit everything in a shortbed Tacoma than mine. :coffeedrink:

Upper deck, all poles/hammock stowed in this shot. There is room enough here to sit and take off or put on shoes.
100_1708.jpg

I guess I never stopped to consider the advantage of having a long "nose" like this - a perfect built-in bedside table.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles