OZTENT tent alternative?

net4n6

Adventurer
Couple months ago I saw a tent that constructed "similar" to OZtent. I couldn't find it anymore. One reason I like OZTent is the quick setup. It has frame built inside the tent which reduce the setup time tremendously. In addition, I like the "patio" option which I can back my SUV in to load/unload stuffs in raining weather. OZ tent is a bit pricey. If I couldn't find alternative option, then OZTent is the choice.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
The Turbo Tent is indeed fast to pitch. It's shaped differently than the OzTent, essentially a standard four-pole modified pyramid, and not quite as outback looking. But we're really happy with the one we've been using. More all-around headroom than an OzTent. They do make a model designed to cover the rear of a vehicle.

Here's the website:

Turbo Tent

The Turbo Tent also doesn't need a seven-foot-long cargo area to store it.

net4n6

Adventurer
I have been looking all day. Here is what I want. The best price is $419 so far. I like the fact that I can back my car into it. I have SportZ SUV tent and like it a lots. Just too much for me to setup by myself now.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
I think you'll like it.

The only real issue we've had is that the fly fabric that extends down the poles on each corner flaps along the edges in a wind. I plan to address that soon with short bungees or something.

Also, the carrying bag is too small. We always manage to get everything packed back in, but it's a struggle.

Minor problems on a good product.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
We've had the Turbo Tent over a year now, and it's performed very well. There's a short report on it in the Fall, 2009 Overland Journal.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
They don't list the collapsed/packed size. Anyone know what the packed size is for the 3 and 4 person Turbo Tents?

Fergie

Expedition Leader
For what it's worth, there are two different models of Turbo Tent on sale on overstock.com at the moment:

Black Pine Sports Turbo 7-person Camping Tent, $410.99:
http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toy...bo-7-person-Camping-Tent/3963004/product.html

and

Black Pine Sports Turbo 3-person Tent, $243.99:
http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Black-Pine-Sports-Turbo-3-person-Tent/3962944/product.html
A word on the Overstock.com listings; make sure you cross-reference the specs from the Turbo Tent website to the ones listed on the OS...they are not the same, or they weren't when I was looking.

No joke too, when in MX, Jonathan had that tent set-up as fast, or faster than I had my loaner Maggiolina set-up. I was impressed, and will buy one once the old dome tent we have is no longer serviceable/useable.

bomar

Adventurer
just wondering if they will hold up like the oz tents have.

their website is vague on alot of info that I think they should have.

if they are selling on overstock.com that makes me kind of worried about the product.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz