Alaska 2009

4x4x4doors

Explorer
I just found this thread and loved it. Thanks for sharing your trip and notes along the road. Although it's been a while, I hope you'll see this and know its still appreciated.

fisher205

Explorer
5 year reflection of this trip and the chaos of 5 years ago making sure that I had everything done to leave. It's a little melancholy thinking it's 4th of July weekend and not going camping anywhere. I opened a beer and this old thred and at least returned a good traveling feeling for awhile.

A few changes and a few trips in the last few years. The Alaskan made it out to the west coast up though Oregon, and numerous trips to the Big Horns, Tetons, and Yellowstone, besides the local ones and fall hunting trips. The Alaskan did get a new ride in late 2012.

It's a 2001 F350 7.3 powerstroke. I had been looking for a Dodge 1 ton but hadn't found any that wasn't beat to death and/or they wanted to much money for. This has been a lot more enjoyable to drive down the road. I basically bought it, threw the Alaskan on and took off to Prescott AZ to see my brothers for Christmas 2012. We spent 2 nights at the Grand Canyon 0 degrees, one night at Bryce -7 ( the powerstroke didn't like it but started) and Rifle Reservoir -10 (plugged in and warm). Did the Big Horns and Winds last summer, not much other action.

The old Dodge has been regulated to the work horse and dog truck. I decided to keep it and sell my T100. The T was practical but the old Dodge still puts a smile on my face.

I appreciate your reading this and your comments over the years. Have a good 4th and a good weekend.

Brad

dra2120

My construction was building Alaska Bible College at the time it was just a few rooms behind the hospital. We completed the first wing of their builidng before we left for the "lower 48" at the end of summer.

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1
Wow small world, my wife works for Alaska Bible College...and Glennallen is still about the same size now as it was then.

concretejungle

Adventurer
Brad,

Thanks for the great thread. I just read through all of it! I don't want to break you down with questions but i would like to ask just a couple as i'm going to try to take an alaska trip similar to yours.

Crossing the boarder:
1. any suggestions regarding taking your own fishing tackle and rods? No issues there? I realize you will need to get a fishing license while there.
2. what about taking a firearm as protection, any issues crossing the boarder with that? I'm assuming if you have the proper paperwork they look and say good to go?
3. dogs, any suggestions about taking a dog across the boarder? It may be more of a hassle than anything and if they have to be quarantined for any extent and special vet papers, again it might be best to leave the dog at home with the parents.

While in Canada/Alaska:
1. cell coverage? Any normal american carrier like AT&T or verizon have spotty coverage?
2. do you suggest just getting a satellite phone instead?

fisher205

Explorer
Brad,

Thanks for the great thread. I just read through all of it! I don't want to break you down with questions but i would like to ask just a couple as i'm going to try to take an alaska trip similar to yours.

Crossing the boarder:
1. any suggestions regarding taking your own fishing tackle and rods? No issues there? I realize you will need to get a fishing license while there. No problems with your own equipment. I would recommend that you make sure that it is clean and your not bringing any diseases or strange critters with you. I always spray mine down with Clorox when I change streams.
2. what about taking a firearm as protection, any issues crossing the boarder with that? I'm assuming if you have the proper paperwork they look and say good to go? It was pretty easy to bring shot gun with you, at least 5 years ago. But forget about a hand gun. Personally I just carry bear spray .
3. dogs, any suggestions about taking a dog across the boarder? It may be more of a hassle than anything and if they have to be quarantined for any extent and special vet papers, again it might be best to leave the dog at home with the parents. I was going to take mine and all you needed was current shots and a certificate from your vet that the dog is healthy. I ended up leaving mine, It's a lot easier if your going to spend very much time in National parks or Monuments

While in Canada/Alaska:
1. cell coverage? Any normal american carrier like AT&T or verizon have spotty coverage? The cell coverage was spotty. You really can be away from population centers. It was good near any towns. I called home from Deadhorse and it was the same cost as at home with Verizon. I did pay a roaming fee in Canada and it was expensive at that time.
2. do you suggest just getting a satellite phone instead? I took a Spot locator with me and would mark position every night. But it was more for the people back home. I found by using it they let me wander off on my own more:). So I guess it would up to your own comfort level with being out of communications. Personally I like not being able to be reached.

I hopefully followed your questions with a reply in a different color.

concretejungle

Adventurer
Thank you for the reply!

Bear spray always makes me nervous... just not sure how effective on a close encounter. No personal experience just always wondered.

I also hear you loud and clear about not being able to be reached... I am not wanting that, but would like the ability to check in every so often with a phone call or a text. If that's possible, or if i was to get into a bad situation and i could walk to get a signal and make a call, that would be nice too.

fisher205

Explorer
Well we seemed to have about 3 conversations going at once. Thanks again for saving my life with that coffee. Sherri, will probably pass you tomorrow on her way to Portland. I she's in Missoula tonight.

Stay in touch and I'll keep following your progress.

Brad

DzlToy

Explorer
How much research and/or planning did you do for your route and stops along the way? Like many here, I go out to get away from the hustle and bustle, so the last thing I want is crowded tour buses, loud music or campgrounds full of people. That completely defeats the purpose of "going away" IMO.

An example would be, "could you see Denali from the other side" or "is there another route to take to the Arctic Ocean other than going through the industrial oil/gas cities that seem to be much less than pleasant"

The scenery along the way is beautiful and a friend sent some pics from a recent trip into the Alaskan bush with no people for days, but he was with locals and/or guides, so maybe that is the solution.

fisher205

Explorer
The only thing I did for research was read the "Milepost" which I really recommend. There was also book given to me about backroads of Alaska. I didn't really go with a plan, just a direction. My Significant Other always chides me about my fly-by-the-seat-of-the-pants technique(like that's a bad thing?). But that is really what I like to do. So I have a tendency of wandering down some roads that turn into really neat adventures and scenery or the middle of the locals party spot.

Side note, I didn't know a thing about the Canola Road before I went up there, but decided I was going to take it. The ferry wasn't running just then so I blew it off. Later after reading reports about it I wish I would have done part of it. But I don't know that it would be a good one to do solo.

I usually disperse camp when I can, but most of the really cool places I learned about was when stayed in campgrounds from other travelers. There will be quite a few people you will see over and over as you travel. The other thing a friend of mine that travels a lot recommended was to stay put in one place for a day or two once a week. It let's you catch up with yourself. I would try to do that and make that a day of washing laundry, cleaning out the truck and camper and maybe catching up on the internet.

So if your going north and want to see some cool places or party with the locals just follow this thread. Hopefully it will help with your planning. If you can allow a lot of time.

Thanks for your comments and let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Brad

Willman

Wow. What a cool old trip report. Very good information. Love the old images added to the thread.

fisher205

Explorer
Just a quick note. I had quite a few inquiries about selling my rig, back when this thread was current. Well the time has come. I have purchased newer models to replace these and need to thin my herd down. I will be posting up in the for sale area shortly. Thanks for your past interest.

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior