Wind Deflector for RTT

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
:Wow1:That is a cool tent. A deflector like that should work well. You will have a little noise no matter what, but the design should reduce it and drag, which is always a plus. I'm wondering if a simple wedge may not be just as effective...

cnskate

Adventurer
Ya, that is a cool tent. I like the honeycomb aluminum floor feature, among other things.

Any aerodynamic engineer types on here? I'm thinking of a wedge or sloped shape type deflector similar to the above, since my tent sits about five inches above the roof of my Jeep Xj because of the the high rain rails, and I want to deflect both the air coming straight at the tent and the air coming up off the windshield.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I often thought about building a spoiler for the RTT's and had sketched out some designs, but in talking to the owner of Eezi Awn his experience was this.

On a 7000 km trip through Namibia two identical vehicles with RTT's one with a spoiler and one without, the differences in fuel consumption were negligible.

So I moved on.

CYi5

Explorer
You're right, it definitely needs something. When I ran it ontop of my truck my gas mileage was horrid. Friends in my convoy tried to draft me it was so high up there :(.
Utah1.jpg

I put a basket on the front of the cab after that and it did help out a bit.
utah2.jpg

I don't think i'll ever put another mombasa style tent on this 4runner, the 12" height is quite big to be practical.

cnskate

Adventurer
I often thought about building a spoiler for the RTT's and had sketched out some designs, but in talking to the owner of Eezi Awn his experience was this.

On a 7000 km trip through Namibia two identical vehicles with RTT's one with a spoiler and one without, the differences in fuel consumption were negligible.

So I moved on.

How much of that trip was on pavement at freeway speeds? I think that sort of driving is where a spoiler would help most.

rain76king

Adventurer
on my cherokee, I put up a thule deflector, did the same trip twice and tried to drive the same way twice.....didn't see any noticible difference in mileage. I don't think it would hurt to keep one there anyways.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur

So I moved on.

But at what speeds?

My TJ (3.5" lift, 285/75R16 tires D rated tires, 4.10 gears, Easi-Awn 1200 on top) gets 16 - 17mpg on the freeway, at 65 - 70mph. Without the tent, it typically gets just over 17mph, at the same speed. Negligable difference, as you mention.

But, if I bump that speed up to 75 - 80mph, without the tent, I'm getting about 15 - 16, with the tent, 13 - 14. That, IMO, is enough to be significant.

Now personally, I am OK with driving in the slow lane on the freeway (in the jeep). But the darn noise created by mounting a Easi-awn over the top of a jeep soft-top . . . eesh! I wear ear plugs! (seriously). I think something to smooth out the airflow would be a good thing . . .

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
on my cherokee, I put up a thule deflector, did the same trip twice and tried to drive the same way twice.....didn't see any noticible difference in mileage. I don't think it would hurt to keep one there anyways.

Its not going to hurt anything being up there, and there may be benefits. Why not?

If nothing else, it will help with the issue of bug goo all over your tent cover!

cnskate

Adventurer
Maybe it comes down to whether or not it looks cool. Any suggestions for materials and design? I have half of a Coleman safari rack that I'm thinking I might incorporate into it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier