GPS- What are you using?

CYi5

Explorer
Garmin 780 for streets + Topos
Garmin 60Cs for Topos
Asus Eepc 1000HE for reference or used connected to the 60Cs

rdb4Runner

Observer
Street- Garmin nüvi 370 (City Navigator NAmerica and Europe w/ lifetime updates)

Everywhere else- Garmin Oregon 550 (UK topos coming soon:smiley_drive:Just got it for christmas from the wife)

UNI

Adventurer
Does anyone have a Rino® 530HCx.? What do you think of this GPS/Two way radio? The only mount I see they have available, is a suction cup bracket. I don't know about that, it seems it might be on the floor more than on the window? I think I rather have something bolted to the dash, do you know of any third party source for brackets/mounts?

Unit use:
I'll have it mounted in the vehicle, hike/backpacking, canoeing & camping. Thanks

jammyauto

Adventurer
I also got a PN 40 for xmas. I all ready have overland navigator running on a hp netbook in the sportsmobile as well as a couple year old garmin (think it's a 660). Going to Joshua Tree tomorrow AM for a couple days, I'll be playing with the PN 40. It's my first handheld gps.

soonenough

Explorer
Nice! My MIL bought it from Bass Pro Shops and got ripped, so I took it back today, got the money and bought another PN-40 along with a vehicle mount and power bundle online with 20 bucks to spare. :D
Good deal! I think DeLorme dropped the price recently because I've seen two different places selling it for $350 instead of $400.

I got the power kit but no mount yet...I'm thinking I'm gonna get the RAM tube mount kit to attach to the grab handle.

Last edited:

rambrush

Adventurer
I use the RAM mount that attaches to the laptop stand, the problem I have is when I have it on the charging cord or usb into the laptop it sticks up. (which is to be expected).
I have a strap to hold it in the mount

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Good deal! I think DeLorme dropped the price recently because I've seen two different places selling it for $350 instead of $400.

I got the power kit but no mount yet...I'm thinking I'm gonna get the RAM tube mount kit to attach to the grab handle.

Amazon was selling the PN-40 for $200 during the Christmas holiday. Just checked again and they're up to $230 but that's still a lot better than the $400 they were a few weeks ago! Maybe Delorme's going to be bringing on something even better than the PN-40????

craig333

Expedition Leader
My garmin was lost or stolen. I really wanted it for hiking. For driving, whether street or offroad I find paper maps do me just fine. That and a compass and good sense of direction.

I've been using a Garmin 60Cx for several years now. Issues like batteries and reliability have kept me from switching to the PN40, as much as I appreciate how responsive the DeLorme guys have been overall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles