1989 Landcruiser 502 Mercruiser POWER

panzer

Observer
If you get a chance to see this truck it is amazing. When you open the hood you would be certain that this was the original factory engine installation.
No goofy wiresplices or weird looking stuff that you often see in swaps. It is super clean. (or was last time I saw it)

Merc62

Bump.
Truck now has a new ron davis radiator and fans, rebuilt steering box, and new spark plug wires.
Still up for sale.
The Bad- Within the past 2 or 3 months the truck has had a random issue of wanting to stall. I have done a complete tune up along with a few other attempts to solve the problem and for now it seems fixed. However the truck is not being driven but maybe once a week now and regardless I am done spending money on it. I believe its as solid as its gonna get. Price still stands at 28,000.

Last edited:

zelatore

Explorer
Anybody know if this would or ever has passed California smog ?

ah, good luck with that.
It pretty much goes against every smog rule I can think of.
It MIGHT be possible to get it past a referee if it actually blows clean, but getting there will be an uphill climb to say the least, if it's even possible.

Let's see:
non stock motor
motor from a different brand
not even an automotive motor
(yeah, I know Mercs are just GMs underneath, but the 502 was never offered in a road vehicle and as a Merc it never had to meet any smog rules)
should I go on?

As the owner of a Merc 502 Mag, they are pretty stout but they have plenty of shortcomings compared to a modern motor. For example, the stock injection doesn't even use an O2 sensor, for feedback (too hard to do in a marine wet exhaust that didn't have/need a cat) so it's pretty limited compared to what aftermarket/modern systems can do.

But let me be clear, I'm not knocking the truck. It's pretty bad-***. Just not kosher for CA.

speedtre

Explorer
not even an automotive motor

According to the ad it no longer has the Merc 502 , but a regular 5.3 Vortec....it is confusing though...if it were me I think I would have created a new ad......the pictures with the Merc 502 are really confusing...but as you said, still a cool truck....free bump. :)

zelatore

Explorer
Ah, well the 5.3 would make it seem at least possible. Maybe. Sort of.

(Why no, I'm not a fan of CARB. Why do you ask?)

Actually, I'd think the 5.3 would be a better engine for that rig than the old 502. Power is good, but an iron big block also weighs a pound or three, is a tighter fit, and really how much power do you need in a rig like that anyway? (did I just say that??!!)

If you are serious about wanting to get it through smog, you might start by talking to Valley Hybrids in Stockton. He's done a number of diesel cruiser swaps and seems to be in the know about getting them through the red tape. I briefly toyed with the idea of a Cruiser before I bought my Rover and I looked at a SBC powered 60-series he was selling for a client. I believe Georg is the man to talk to.

Merc62

New Price 18,500.
Recent work.

New Toyota Output Bearing
T-Case Rebuild
Replaced all worn components.
Master Bearing Kit
Repair of Rear ARB Seal Housing.
All Bearings replaced with new crush sleeve.

This thread contains everything about this truck. However if you have any further questions and are serious
about the truck please let me know.
Matt
503 756 2762

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94